Truss Rod Question

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Ohiopicker

Truss Rod Question

Post by Ohiopicker »

Advice needed here. This is my first Ric, a 2014 330, and I have had it for a week. It plays and sounds fine, but unlike other electrics I have, when I rap on the back of the neck with my knuckles, I can hear what I think is the truss rod. Is this normal? I removed the truss rod cover and check both nuts and they are at least finger tight. When setting up the guitar, I did tighten the tuning key nuts and made sure the bridge was down square and tight, so I do think that is what I am hearing. I did not hear this with my last guitar, an SG.

Thanks in advance for your help!
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Truss Rod Question

Post by jps »

Ohiopicker wrote:Advice needed here. This is my first Ric, a 2014 330, and I have had it for a week. It plays and sounds fine, but unlike other electrics I have, when I rap on the back of the neck with my knuckles, I can hear what I think is the truss rod. Is this normal? I removed the truss rod cover and check both nuts and they are at least finger tight. When setting up the guitar, I did tighten the tuning key nuts and made sure the bridge was down square and tight, so I do think that is what I am hearing. I did not hear this with my last guitar, an SG.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Maybe it was your old SG that was not normal? :wink: :mrgreen:
Ohiopicker

Post by Ohiopicker »

Jeffrey - the SG was perfect as far as playability went. Anyhow.....

Went back and read the manual and decided to check the trussrod nuts again. When I put a wrench in there, they were just slightly loose. Less than one-eight of a turn and problem solved!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Good to read you got it sorted out. 8)

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”