Re: Roll Call !!

Post by thx1955 »

Still here, still love Fireglo
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I glance at the forum once in a while hoping for something new but there's just not much to talk about here. I don't think it has anything to do with Facebook or a drop in guitar-based music because I post on 6 other guitar forums and none of them have suffered the same decline. People have been saying this for years, the RRF is a specific forum with a specific focus on one brand that hasen't done much in the last decade. It's a shame. I keep waiting to hear about a "cool new guitar from Rickenbacker" or a change in management to revitalize the brand, but it just never happens. If you ask anyone about it, you get the canned response about how big the "backlog" is and how Rickenbacker "doesn't owe you anything." Great culture. :roll:

Oh well. C'est La Vie.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Grey wrote:I glance at the forum once in a while hoping for something new but there's just not much to talk about here. I don't think it has anything to do with Facebook or a drop in guitar-based music because I post on 6 other guitar forums and none of them have suffered the same decline. People have been saying this for years, the RRF is a specific forum with a specific focus on one brand that hasn't done much in the last decade. It's a shame. I keep waiting to hear about a "cool new guitar from Rickenbacker" or a change in management to revitalize the brand, but it just never happens. If you ask anyone about it, you get the canned response about how big the "backlog" is and how Rickenbacker "doesn't owe you anything." Great culture. :roll:

Oh well. C'est La Vie.
Thanks for your comments Erik. Perhaps it is time to bring back this thread and hear from those who have not been here in a while. If you are new to the RRF, please introduce yourself. Where are your from and what are your thoughts on Rickenbacker and beyond. I am still in Fredericton and have been here on the RRF now for 20 years! It is hard to believe. :shock: In an case, please drop us a line and let us know what you are doing. We are creeping up on 39,000 Rickenbackers catalogued to date. Thanks to all who have made this possible.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

Grey wrote:The Rickenbacker brand hasen't done much in the last decade. It's a shame. I keep waiting to hear about a "cool new guitar from Rickenbacker" or a change in management to revitalize the brand, but it just never happens. If you ask anyone about it, you get the canned response about how big the "backlog" is and how Rickenbacker "doesn't owe you anything." Great culture. :roll:

+1 - Amen to that!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wazzspace wrote:I'm here from Downunder, loving my astonishing 700S/12
lovingly crafted by PW. Welcome to other Aussies in the forum.
What a gorgeous guitar, Warren! I see you have been off to see the wizard.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Guzzitd63

Post by Guzzitd63 »

admin wrote:
... hear from those who have not been here in a while. If you are new to the RRF, please introduce yourself. Where are your from and what are your thoughts on Rickenbacker and beyond. I am still in Fredericton and have been here on the RRF now for 20 years! It is hard to believe. :shock: In an case, please drop us a line and let us know what you are doing.
I'm David in Central Iowa. Oddly, I would consider myself to be both "here for a while" and "new to RRF" at the same time. Allow me to explain please.

When I was a 14 year old in a High School Garage band circa 1978, I always pined for a Rickenbacker like Paul had on the inside of the Magically Mystery Tour album. They were pretty expensive back then and I could barely afford the cheesy import P-Bass copy I had. Bouncing forward 30 years, I was gifted my dream bass from my wife at our first Christmas in Iowa. We had been casually window shopping in the Drake University neighborhood when I pulled her into "Last Chance Guitars" and laid eyes on that gorgeous Turquoise 4003. I'm pretty sure that was December of 1999.

I found RRF shortly thereafter and lurked for a while. Honestly, I'm not sure even I registered as a user at that time. I know I didn't register the the guitar (Q18069). It was simply a "run of the mill production guitar." There were hundreds, if not thousands of them just like it out there.

A year later or so, I bought a Mapleglo 4003S (J54806) from eBay. (thanks C.G.) And since it was already registered here and not being a "User," I didn't follow up with any Register corrections.

My impressions where that most people wanted to talk about color-of-the-year and vintage/collecting and not much about technical stuff so after a couple of years, I lost interest.

Twenty years later, I still have both basses and I'm still a "new user" ... lol. A wise (angry young) man once said, "Label me? I'll label you."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A great story David, thanks for sharing it.

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

admin wrote:A great story David, thanks for sharing it.
+!! 8)
doctorwho wrote:
Rubsoul wrote:Thought a "Roll Call" might be interesting. How many of us are still in here??

Thanks Facebook. :oops:
For me, it's not Facebook, it's just that I don't seem to have much spare time anymore ... I guess I need to retire!. :roll: :lol: 8)
(Posted by Gary Clauson (doctorwho) » 26 Dec 2016 10:50 pm)

Ha! I am still not retired!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gary great to hear from you at this time when foresight and hindsight is 2020! :lol: I would love it if you would use the TARDIF more often and transport your thoughts here.

teeder

Post by teeder »

I'm here almost everyday, though I don't spend as much time as I used to (or would like to).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

teeder wrote:I'm here almost everyday, though I don't spend as much time as I used to (or would like to).
Kevin, decisions decisions. :lol: I hear you! Thanks very much for checking in.

maxwell

Post by maxwell »

I visit a handful of web sites a few times a day; just making the rounds; quick and easy to do on a tablet. I still visit the RIC site just as often as this site even though there isn’t much activity over there nowadays. The RIC site is a treasure trove of information, but I doubt I’d post/pose a question there.... From what I see, the few responses there are from guys here.

I’ll never join Facebook, so this is pretty much the go-to place for all things Rick.

Before I dissect my guitars, post photos and ask questions, I’m trying to educate myself on toasters. Interestingly, as I search the Internet, I’m finding that the most enlightening search results lead me back Here.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

maxwell wrote:I visit a handful of web sites a few times a day; just making the rounds; quick and easy to do on a tablet. I still visit the RIC site just as often as this site even though there isn’t much activity over there nowadays. The RIC site is a treasure trove of information, but I doubt I’d post/pose a question there.... From what I see, the few responses there are from guys here.

I’ll never join Facebook, so this is pretty much the go-to place for all things Rick.

Before I dissect my guitars, post photos and ask questions, I’m trying to educate myself on toasters. Interestingly, as I search the Internet, I’m finding that the most enlightening search results lead me back Here.
Orville, your comments are appreciated. :)

fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

I still visit and am grateful for the opportunity.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fatcat wrote:I still visit and am grateful for the opportunity.
We are glad to have you. Thanks Don.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”