NGD: 60s Rickenbacker Acoustic - 385S

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

collin

NGD: 60s Rickenbacker Acoustic - 385S

Post by collin »

(Migrating a topic here that started in the marketplace viewtopic.php?f=68&t=414687)

This week I picked up a late 60s Rickenbacker acoustic model 385S, and I'm hoping to source any/all info on this unusual model.
385S-001.jpg
As most people here are familiar, Rickenbacker made a handful of acoustic models in the 1950s-1960s, mostly custom ordered for known artists or for trade shows etc. Very few were sold to the public, from what I understand.

This is a unique guitar, and it's had a rough life with more than a few battle scars and "repairs". I took the guitar to RIC earlier today so the team there could have a look, and here's what I know:

- There isn't a serial on this or any old Rick acoustics, but the guitar likely was constructed prior to 1962, and assembled around 1968.

- The headstock profile is the wider-type seen from 1960-1963, and it features red side markers and early style triangle inlays (pre-crushed shell). There are two thin walnut laminates in the headstock, along with the typical middle piece.

- TRC is white and features the "Made in USA" parallel with the nut, which was first seen around 1968. The original tuners are missing, but assumed to be Van Ghent type, based on the telltale footprint

The overall body shape is the same size as the Jim Reeves "Blueboy" acoustic, which also had deluxe inlays. Rickenbacker apparently referred to all flattop models as a 385 or 385S, and I believe the "S" designation meant the smaller body size, presumably for "Spanish" guitar.
385-05.jpg
There are photos on the RIC corporate website of a trade show booth in 1962, depicting a guitar identical to mine, except with dot inlays:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_ima ... _year=1960

http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_ima ... _year=1960

Curiously, this same guitar - or one identical to it - is featured in the 1968 Rickenbacker catalog, and described as a model 385 :

http://rickenbacker.com/catalog_poster_ ... cf68-6.jpg
385-03.png
385-04.png

As JB astutely pointed out in the first thread, a very similar guitar (perhaps even the same one in the catalog with added pickup?) is seen played by Chris Squire of YES in 1975.
385-06.png
collin

Re: NGD: 60s Rickenbacker Acoustic - 385S

Post by collin »

While it’s only an educated guess – with a few big assumptions -- but my best guess is that the factory made this guitar in the early 60s as the “deluxe” companion to the dot-fretboard example pictured in the 1968 catalog. It may have been final assembled later (post-68) based on the TRC, assuming it’s original to the guitar.

Since it’s assumed that few, if any, of these models were sold to the public, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was originally made as a one-off. If more were made and sold to dealers, I’d love to know more!

So that’s all I have. I’ve asked around and had RIC take a look at it, it’s a long-shot but anybody else have info on these guitars? Other photos?

I’ll take some better pics outside for posterity.
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
collin

Post by collin »

05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Wow, what a nice find, Collin!

Please 'scuse my ignorance, but where is Jim Reeves blue boy guitar today? I believe I've heard that the blue boy 4000 that Kirkland is holding in the pic above has been lost to history, are the others accounted for, missing, did they go down with Reeves plane?
collin

Post by collin »

Thanks!

All three BB instruments are intact and survived. Vincent Gallo owns the 4000 bass, the 360F is in Japan and I believe Bill Nelson owns (or owned?) the acoustic, but that might be in Japan as well. Search the forum here, there have been some threads, including a recent pic of the 360F and acoustic together.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Cool to see a photo of another acoustic with the extra laminations in the headstock. 8)

How similar in dimensions is the body to a Martin 000/OM?
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Congrats Collin... what a score!! :shock:
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

This is the score of the century. Just this week I was commenting to someone about how there are NO surviving Rick acoustics prior to the 1990s.

You think a lightshow, a 4005, or a 360F is a rare bird? No way. This is it.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

kennyhowes wrote:This is the score of the century. Just this week I was commenting to someone about how there are NO surviving Rick acoustics prior to the 1990s.

You think a lightshow, a 4005, or a 360F is a rare bird? No way. This is it.
Holy S***, I've got to echo Kenny's comment.
Congratulation Collin
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
scotty

Post by scotty »

Very cool and interesting Colin.
Nice score!
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

Amazing!
How does it play/sound?
collin

Post by collin »

Thanks fellas. Definitely agree there - can't think of another time I've seen a vintage Rick acoustic turn up in the wild before this one. Even info on them is scarce!

Just a quick note today, I posted earlier about Chris Squire playing a similar model in 1975, but with added pickup. In the Richard Smith book there is a picture of F.C. Hall at NAMM in 1970 with what appears to be an identical 385S model (with pickup) behind him. I wonder if a small batch was made, or if this guitar made it's way to Chris? The knobs are in the same spot, from what I can tell.
385 - pickup.JPG
collin

Post by collin »

thisismusicinc wrote:Amazing!
How does it play/sound?
Surprisingly it sounds great. Generally thin construction so it's fairly loud for a small acoustic. Playability is so-so, but will be much better once some internal braces are replaced and the correct bridge is installed.

Currently I'm looking into what a restoration on this guitar would involve, it's certainly worthy of a proper restoration.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

collin wrote:
thisismusicinc wrote:Currently I'm looking into what a restoration on this guitar would involve, it's certainly worthy of a proper restoration.
Maybe this is something our own Jim Merril could tackle, perhaps?
Last edited by jps on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

May be a dumb question, but what's up with the black/dark areas on the back. Can't really tell in the photos. Poor repairs?
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”