370 wiring question

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

2nevet

370 wiring question

Post by 2nevet »

Can anyone tell me if the wiring is different on a 1994 370wb and a 2008 370? the reason I ask is the volume controls on the earlier one don't turn the middle pickup off at all where as the later one does
thanks for any insight
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: 370 wiring question

Post by aceonbass »

The wiring layout is the same, except that the earlier one actually had 500K Tone & 250K volume pots, whereas the later one has 330K pots for everything. That the volume control for the neck pickup isn't turning the middle pickup off makes me think it's wired differently. I like to wire 3-pickup Ricks with the middle pickup going through the 5th knob by itself being used as a volume control. This is much more useful than having the middle pickup wired in with the neck pickup, and the 5th knob being used as a fader for the neck pickup circuit.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: 370 wiring question

Post by iiipopes »

I have a thread on the RIC factory forum where I change out the 5th knob for a push-pull that simultaneously chooses either/or the neck or middle pickup, while at the same time has the .0047 inline "jangle" capacitor in or out. That gives a completely alternative palette of tones for a Rick 3-pickup guitar that is not possible with the factory wiring or the middle pickup shunted to the 5th knob by itself. The advantage is that all five knobs retain their original factory functions and the push-pull passes the "five-foot" test, meaning that if you are further than five feet away it is not obvious that a mod has been done to the guitar.

Link: http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewt ... f=2&t=7928

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”