Who do you let set up/do maintenance on your Ric?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tenthstreet

Who do you let set up/do maintenance on your Ric?

Post by tenthstreet »

Hi all,

360/6 owner here, brand new to the forum! It's been a few years since I last had anyone do maintenance on my guitar, and sadly, the person who used to take care of it for me - and who I completely trusted with it - passed away around a year ago, so I've been holding out on taking it somewhere else.

I'm in a city, so there are plenty of shops that I could take my guitar to, and a few of them say that they know Rickenbackers. One had the mind to say they know about the double truss rod and asked me what model I had, but said that other than that, there's not much else unique about a Rickenbacker (didn't mention polish, etc). Another simply didn't ask any questions after I said "I know they're a bit more unique than other guitars..."

Now, I know there's a lot of debate on what kind of polish is the best, etc., etc., but is anyone here adamant with a shop on what special Rickenbacker-unique setup techniques to use, etc.? Would normal guitar polish, for example, hurt a Rickenbacker's finish to the point where I'd want to insist? Does any of this even matter?

Thanks all!
collin

Re: Who do you let set up/do maintenance on your Ric?

Post by collin »

Polish is easy (and you should really do this yourself). Zymol cleaner wax (https://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Z503A-Clea ... B0009JKIRC ), also available at most auto parts stores is great stuff.

And use Meguire's "Scratch-X" if you have any pick-scratches to get rid of, prior to the Zymol.

As for set-up, any competent guitar tech will do - as long as they understand how a Rickenbacker truss rod works.

If your guitar doesn't need a truss rod adjustment, then you're good. Otherwise I'd spend some time searching for a better tech in your area (or just buying the hand tool and learning it yourself. Tons of info in past threads on this forum).
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Didnt ScratchX change, and the best product for Ricks is what they now call SwirlX?
collin

Post by collin »

jdogric12 wrote:Didnt ScratchX change, and the best product for Ricks is what they now call SwirlX?
Maybe. That sounds familiar, I haven't had to buy a bottle in eons so I'd search the forum on that one.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I do my own unless it needs fret work, then only because I do not have the tools.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”