Changing Hardcase interior color

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

satraker

Changing Hardcase interior color

Post by satraker »

New member here...recently purchased a beautiful, minty ‘07 JetGlo 360-6 without hardcase off Reverb. Sourced a NOS case off local Craigslist but it’s blue interior doesn’t match the guitar. Anyone here know if I can successfully dye the case interior black or should I leave it alone and accept the mismatch?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Changing Hardcase interior color

Post by jps »

Leave it alone, that is how they are and totally appropriate. I take it you bought a silver vintage RI case, right?
satraker

Post by satraker »

I bought a 330/360 case from a local dealer who had it laying around in their warehouse. Had some surface scuffs but original key and Allen wrenches were still there.

Seemed easy enough to dye black but I’m concerned about potential bleed onto the instrument with heat or age. I wasn’t having an easy time prying it out of the SKB (?) case so figured I’d ask this forum first before digging it out and dying the velour.
Attachments
5A2D996E-DA3D-4189-9508-28B81822E161.jpeg
75FB8461-DEDC-4A5F-A192-49B2B78366C8.jpeg
collin

Post by collin »

Case doesn't match the guitar ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.....What a non-problem to have.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Oh, you have an earlier SKB case; the current ones have a Jetglo interior.

Here are a couple of cases from 1967 with their respective instruments inside. Man, does that FG 4005 clash with the interior color, but the Jetglo ones looks right at home. :mrgreen:
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2005 All rights reserved.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2005 All rights reserved.
Here is the interior of the vintage style RI case.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2012 All rights reserved.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2012 All rights reserved.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Chances are that the fuzz is polyester, which can be difficult to dye. Combine that with the fact that the kinds of dyes that retail consumers have access to are pretty weak and you have an excellent chance of really screwing up a perfectly good guitar case. Trust us, you can live with it and be just fine.
satraker

Post by satraker »

Thanks for the advice! It’s perfect the way it is...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The SKB case you have is an older one, not sure when they switched to a black interior, but it was many years ago. Did the store sell that case to you as new?
satraker

Post by satraker »

The CL ad was accurate, it wasn’t new, just never owned. Payed $140 for it from retail warehousing dealer.

“Molded Rickenbacker case. Never owned. Has some scuff marks on it from being on shelf but never used. Still has the key for locking”

Reverb seller found a used RIC case for $160 but more than an hour away. We agreed I’d buy this one. My concern was about resale value...appears from comments here that there’s no difference between original case and factory case, despite potential color difference.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Forget the dye. You are seriously risking the finish on your guitar. The unknown chemicals in the dye you use may be like Kryptonite to your Ric's finish.

What you should take care of are those unsightly open compartments. A lot worse than your blue interior is the sight upon opening your case of a bunch of junk in those open compartments. Simply buy some thin wood (from a hobby shop), paint it up black, put a knob on it, and voila, your case is neat and tidy.

Make two trap doors for those open compartments! Hide your junk. Open the case and just see the beauty of the guitar.

ImageImage
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

I would bleach out the Monkey Fur to white. Put some bleach in a misting bottle and get right on it.

Sorry to be a wise guy. I'm actually like you. I've replaced perfectly good cases with the poodle lining ones for my Ricks and my Fenders. (My JetGlo 360/12 sits in a silver vintage with blue poodle, and my Shoreline Gold Strato sits in a tweed with dark red poodle). There is just something to opening up a cool case with a nice contrasting presentation that makes you feel good, reminds you that you have a quality instrument, and gets you in the mood to play it.

If it were me, I'd save up the money for a vintage case, or go to G & G and get what you want... Then, see if I could sell the SKB to someone on eBay who needs one. If you are gigging or a working musician (and I'm not anymore) you wouldn't care about that sort of stuff.

As for the case being original to the guitar... I don't think that matters much until you reach back into the at least the '70's and more likely the '60's and 50's.

My two pence.

JKC

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”