Ric 620 6 String - What's your opinion?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

larsongs

Ric 620 6 String - What's your opinion?

Post by larsongs »

Is this the right Place to Post this thread?

I own an early 2000 Fireglo Ric 360 12 String & a 1997 Mapleglo Ric 360 6 String. Both are great & aren't For Sale.

I'm thinking of getting a new Jetglo 620 6 String. One of my concerns is; Will the Sound of the 620 6 String be about the same as my 1997 360 6 String?

What are your thoughts & opinons of the 620 6 String models? Re; Build, Fit & Finish on the new ones? Quality Control issues? Pro's & Con's..

Thank you,

Lars
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Ric 620 6 String - What's your opinion?

Post by jdogric12 »

I'll dare say you'll like and notice the difference. The 620 has that 21-fret neck pickup placement which gives a different tone than 24-fretters. Plus, the solid vs semi-hollow, smaller body size, and different shape will all be factors in how you approach and play the instrument. I had a mid-2000's 620 JG and loved it! I put an Accent vibrato on it and had a blast.
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

Because of the Solid Body & shorter Scale is the Sound different than a 360 6 string? Is their sound similar to a 325?

I would be interested in adding an Accent Vibrato too.. I had been thinking about that. How difficulty is the install?

Thanks,

Lars
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

At the time I bought my 620 I played various 330, 360 and 620 guitars at the store I bought it from. While I would say they all sounded like a Ric, they all had a slightly different tone/vibe to them. The neck through design on the 620 should give slightly more sustain and it feels less “woody” being a solid body guitar. It also feels entirely different, tiny compared to the 360. In my opinion it makes it a better couch guitar because it sits easier and feels comfortable that way (though I love playing on a nice semi hollow also). I’ve had my 620 for ten years now, and I am planning to invest in a 330 once I save money and sell some other gear. In my opinion it’ll give me a similar sound, but be different enough to be worth the money.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

330/360/620 all have same 24 3/4 scale. Fenders are typically 25 1/2.

You can add an Accent, but you'll want to make sure you use a conversion bracket like Winfield Vintage sells. Guitars that are equipped with an Accent at the factory get their strap button hole placed differently. Many do it anyway with the stock hole and bracket and don't notice a difference, but it won't be quite right.
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

Sorry for a second comment...but thought I’d add, have you looked at the 650? If you want something that’ll sound different it has the hb1 humbuckers, and I believe you could coil tap them with two push/pull pots and have more versatility. It does not have the bound body. I’m split on that part. I owned an 80’s 610 and I in some ways feel the non bound body was more comfortable. You also lose the premium stereo jack, don’t know if that matters to you. With the humbuckers and maple neck it would undoubtedly have a different sound than your current two Rics.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

650's are great. I'm playing the snot out of one these days even - practically a go-to for recording. But it's miles away from the standard "Rick" thing a la 360's & 620's. And for the 650, with its HB's, I DO recommend a harness change. Dane did mine (650A) and I love it. Better pot values, fancy push pull options on all 4 knobs, and it sounds amazing. Stock 650's I've never liked - turns out it was the "average" pot values that were killing their tones IMHO anyway.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:650's are great. I'm playing the snot out of one these days...
Is there any snot left in it?
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

I have Guitars with Humbuckers. I have a 360 6 string & 12 string also. So I'm well covered there.

My interest in a 620 is mostly for Rhythm Guitar in a British Invasion Band & mostly that style of music. We are not attempting to be a Clone Beatle Band per se. I can't play a 325 but like the Sound for that kind of Music. I actually like the look of the 620 better than a long scale 325.

Given Ric's comments about the 620 being true to the 300 Series am I to understand that it means the Sound is much the same? That is what I'm hoping for..

Thanks,

Lars
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

I have a 2008 MID 620, and I think it’s a great guitar. The size and shape suits me well. I have no experience with the classic semi hollow ricks, but I prefer it over my T and S style guitars. Especially for slightly overdriven chord playing, which is what I do most. With stock electronics and high gains, it’s not a janglemachine, but I feel it has a distinct rickenbacker sound still.
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

Somebody else may correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe you can coil tap the hb1 pickups by adding some push/pull pots, which would give you an output similar to the toasters? That would make the 650 sound much more jangly and have the single coil tone. Not trying to change your mind from the 620, if it’s in your budget it’s a great guitar. Just figured it might fit your needs as well and save you some money. The 620 also has a better resale value, if that’s ever a concern. At the end of the day, all Rics are great! The 620 does share a lot of sound characteristics with the 330/360 from when I’ve played them a/b, yet they do have subtle differences.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

jps wrote:
Yes.

My 650 has coil taps on the tone knobs, a mono/stereo push/pull on the treble volume knob, and some volume-leveling capacitor thingy on the other knob. Dane can say what it does - he made it for me! I can't remember, I just know sometimes I like it on and sometimes off, depending on what I'm going for.
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

jdogric12 wrote:
jps wrote:
Yes.

My 650 has coil taps on the tone knobs, a mono/stereo push/pull on the treble volume knob, and some volume-leveling capacitor thingy on the other knob. Dane can say what it does - he made it for me! I can't remember, I just know sometimes I like it on and sometimes off, depending on what I'm going for.
Sounds like a really great Guitar..

Just not the sound I'm going for. Curious & hoping the 620 Sound is more like a 325 just more playable for bigger hands & can be had at a good Price point.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Yep you'll like the 620!
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

jdogric12 wrote:Yep you'll like the 620!
Is $1250 for new a good price?

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”