Brand New 325C64 Issues

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

maxwell

Re: Brand New 325C64 Issues

Post by maxwell »

Same here, e.g., Reverend guitars. Referring to Rick only. Who knows who makes them. Back when I wanted to buy a new one, and found that the RIC Boutique did not sell them, and noob me assumed they were no longer made by/for RIC. But, they are.... Anyway, I recall reading comments about the rattling. Again, the person who owned mine beforehand apparently didn’t like it. Of course, not everyone is concerned about it, esp. if the guitar is plugged in and amped up. I’ll have to search this forum further and the RIC forum....

But anyway, Rick components are uniquely unique. The Accent vibrato is another similar component that people have differing opinions of. The OP will discern for himself what’s going on and, via trial and error, find what affects the rattling. I’ll be waiting.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Scott - here’s some observations and advice, seems just for you:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewt ... ler+bridge
Cavendish

Post by Cavendish »

Maxwell, thank you for providing this link and it does take the dissappoinment down a few notches... Not sure I will try this myself but I'll try to drop by the guitar tech at GC or a private guy in town...
Cavendish

Post by Cavendish »

To all that responded to my issue with my new 325; I am sorry to say I returned it to GC this past Saturday... I felt that for the money I paid for this beautiful guitar was not worth the aggravation of fixing, modifying or living with the roller bridge noise... However, I did purchase a very clean previously owned Ric 620FG the very same day at GC... About $1,500 less money and the guitar plays amazingly.... So I am still in the Ric family and look forward to be a part of this forum.
Honkytonkman

Post by Honkytonkman »

Glad you found an instrument you are happy with!

A 620 is much more modern guitar... based on your stated expectations, it sounds this is more suited to your needs.

But in defense of the 325, a C64 is doing everything it can to pretend it is 1964. Stuff has changed since then... as Joni sang, some things lost, but some things gained. New instruments like your 620 are made with greater consistency, and employ advances that reflect both evolving technology and artistry. The whole point of a C64 however, is bookmark back to another year, design flaws and all. You allude to wanting to experience a Rickenbacker like John Lennon's... now you have experienced some of the things he undoubtedly had to contend with.

When I was young and foolish, I figured out that 1965 Porsche 912 cost about the same as a newish-used Honda Civic. Can you guess what I bought? 96 miles down the road, some bolts came loose from the air filter manifolds and dropped down through the carbs, to the pistons, and grenaded the motor. It ended up costing me almost much to fix as I had just paid for the car! That wouldn't have happened if I bought the Honda, plus the Honda came with AC and a CD player. The Honda would have been faster too! But you know what? Almost 20 years later, me and my '65 Porsche are still together and loving life. Last summer, I drove it from Los Angeles to Denali, Alaska and back. I have had so many amazing adventures in that car, and the fact it is not modern, and has flaws, is part of the fun for me.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”