Roger's Rick 12

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Mandolindave

Roger's Rick 12

Post by Mandolindave »

I just saw a YT video of McQuinn showing some licks. WTH???????? Buzzing like crazy. It doesn't say much for compressors.
But I am leaning towards trying a Diamond, even though a limiter might work without boosting the lower volume single coil buzz. I have way too many questions..... sorry.
I don't really trust the compressor manufacturers demos of the various compressors, as I feel like they could be editing out the buzz.

And,to me, there seems to be a lot of counterintuitive technology....But, I loved the sound of my 360 Harrison model ( it got stolen )...and I want to trust the forum members experience and expertise.

1. It seems to me that a compressor is going to compress everything...How does that accentuate the higher strings???

2. I didn't love my Fender XII. But I would have thought that hitting the high strings first would accentuate the high strings.

3. I don't understand the logic of using 330k pots ( that limit treble ) when McQuinn installed a Vox treble boost on his. I'm thinking that the 330Ks are in lieu of 250Ks, and 500Ks must allow too much treble.

Please shed light on the errors in my thinking.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Roger's Rick 12

Post by jps »

Compressors reduce high end in general, that's why some have built-in controls to re-estabish HF content, or boost it relative to the amount of compression going on at the time.

The two Aphex 661 compressors I had years ago are an excellent example of the technology - see the two rotary controls on the right hand side of the control layout:

https://images.talkbass.com/attachments ... pg.613442/
Last edited by jps on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandolindave

Post by Mandolindave »

P. S.

4.Looking over the wiring diagrams of the different years and models....just confused me more, on the topic of different volume and tone pots. WTH ????

5. To be honest, I have never used the pots on any of my guitars....just kept them on full tilt and used the amp controls to find my sound. Does it matter what pots you use if you are going to leave them set at 11. ( 10 ha ha )
Mandolindave

Post by Mandolindave »

Thanks JPS ( I think ha ha ) I have a stereo rack mount compressor, and a rack mount 4 channel limiter, and a rack mount Aphex Aural Exciter, and a rack mount 31 band EQ. Now I'll not see the light of day for weeks. But if it works, I won't have to deal with carrying around a compressor pedal :( :lol: :roll: :wink:

The compressor is stereo so I could loop thru both channels....I could loop thru two channels of the limiter as well. Perhaps I am crazy, ignorant...or both
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome Dave. I'll take a stab at this...
Mandolindave wrote:1. It seems to me that a compressor is going to compress everything...How does that accentuate the higher strings???
First of all, I'll assume you're going for the Byrds sound. There are a few ingredients to this: a big part is flat wound strings... these have dark lows and bright highs, which are brought out with compression. The thuddy low strings die away quickly and you're left with the brighter plain treble strings and octaves. The Rick course arrangement of placing the fundamental toward the bass side means on a downstroke you hit the octave last, as McGuinn points out in his classic instructional video. You complain of buzzing in his video... that's part of the sound - is that what you're after? There are two kinds of buzzing... 1) strings flapping against frets, 2) signal noise. The first is a product of low action. Many people like ALAPWOB - as low as possible without buzzing. I actually don't mind a little fret/string buzz, it has charm. As long as the note doesn't plonk out on me. The second kind of buzz is not the pickup's fault - it's usually the result of bad grounding or electrical nightmares - like in my 1950's house, which Jeff tells me is a ranch style home. When my wife runs the dishwasher or microwave I have to stop recording LOL
Mandolindave wrote: 2. I didn't love my Fender XII. But I would have thought that hitting the high strings first would accentuate the high strings.
I had one of those. They're neat, but far from the Rick sound. Uncompressed, your theory on the order swap (to traditional like a XII) holds. See also: Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass.
Mandolindave wrote:
3. I don't understand the logic of using 330k pots ( that limit treble ) when McQuinn installed a Vox treble boost on his. I'm thinking that the 330Ks are in lieu of 250Ks, and 500Ks must allow too much treble.

Please shed light on the errors in my thinking.
Dane Wilder here has forgotten more than I'll ever know when it comes to pot values. He makes great harnesses, catered to the pickups and sound you want etc.
Mandolindave wrote:P. S.

4.Looking over the wiring diagrams of the different years and models....just confused me more, on the topic of different volume and tone pots. WTH ????
Yes lots of things change all the time in the Rick world. Depends what you want.
Mandolindave wrote:
5. To be honest, I have never used the pots on any of my guitars....just kept them on full tilt and used the amp controls to find my sound. Does it matter what pots you use if you are going to leave them set at 11. ( 10 ha ha )
Mandolindave wrote:Thanks JPS ( I think ha ha ) I have a stereo rack mount compressor, and a rack mount 4 channel limiter, and a rack mount Aphex Aural Exciter, and a rack mount 31 band EQ. Now I'll not see the light of day for weeks. But if it works, I won't have to deal with carrying around a compressor pedal :( :lol: :roll: :wink:
I was like that for many years. Dimed 'em all. The last few years, I've taken to rolling BV & BT down to about 8 or 9. Just a hair. It really opens up the sound. You might not notice it right away, but if you do it for a while then go back to 10101010, you'll hear the muddy difference. I do this on Rick guitars and basses, and even on other makes of guitars now, like on my 6120, Duo Jet, and Epiphone archtops. On Rick bass, sometimes when I want a less "Rick-y" tone, I do the opposite. Dime BV BT, and roll down TV TT a hair.
Mandolindave wrote:
The compressor is stereo so I could loop thru both channels....I could loop thru two channels of the limiter as well. Perhaps I am crazy, ignorant...or both
Not crazy at all. RM went through two tube compressors straight to the board on MTM, IIRC. However, if you get a Janglebox, it will nail the Byrds sound, be portable, and be useful for other things too. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you try, and the results!

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”