Toaster pickups - volume of different strings

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

J_B_Sessoms

Toaster pickups - volume of different strings

Post by J_B_Sessoms »

I've just received my 4th Rickenbacker 12 string. If I read the S/N correctly it's a 2012 model 370/12. The high-gain pickups have been replaced with "Toaster Top" pickups. I'm assuming they're scatter-wounds. (I just like the look of the scatter-wound toaster pickups better than I like the button tops.) I've been looking for a 370/12 for a long time and finally found one I liked and could afford.

I notice as I strum or Travis pick that the volume of notes on the 'E', 'A', & 'D' strings seems much louder than the volume of notes on the 'G', 'B' & 'e' strings; with the volume on the 'E' strings loudest and volume on the 'e' strings weakest. I've never noticed this with my other Rickenbacker 12 strings.

Is there any way to adjust the pickups to balance out the volume across the strings; to make the signal stronger for the higher strings?
John Sessoms
'66 Rickenbacker 330/12
'81 Rickenbacker 360/12 WB
'01 Rickenbacker 360/12 Carl Wilson #476
'12 Rickenbacker 370/12
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Toaster pickups - volume of different strings

Post by jps »

Toaster are not easily adjustable as to individual poles/magnets. IME I have never found a string imbalance issue with toasters, old or new. Maybe, someone can suggest a better set of string gauges to cure this issue you are having?
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

Screw the pickup a bit down on the side it is the loudest.
It is the middle screw.
Or loosen the screw on the other side
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome John!

yeah, try adjusting the pickup height itself since you can't touch the polepieces. What's the rest of your setup?
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

wim wrote:Screw the pickup a bit down on the side it is the loudest.
It is the middle screw.
Or loosen the screw on the other side
This. ^ I have adjusted all three of my instruments this way. And because of the relative volume of bass compared to treble, each of the pickups may have to be adjusted slightly differently to get good balance, with the pickup by itself, or both together.
J_B_Sessoms

Post by J_B_Sessoms »

jdogric12 wrote:Welcome John!

yeah, try adjusting the pickup height itself since you can't touch the polepieces. What's the rest of your setup?
My main rig for the Rickenbackers when I'm playing out is Ernie Ball VP jr -> Boss TU-3 -> Boss CS-3 -> Boss FRV-1 to Fender Custom Shop Tweed Deluxe.

Alternatively, if I'm in the mood to shlep heavier equipment I have a choice of amps; (in ascending weight order) Fender Custom Shop Vibrolux Reverb (Blonde), 65 Fender Bassman (old blackface, NOT a reissue), or 68 Fender Super Reverb (Early CBS silverface while they were still using the older Fender blackface circuitry).

And if I'm REALLY in the mood to drag out the heavy-weight stuff, I've got a Leslie G-37 (100+ pounds). Mostly I just play with that one at home.

I recently got a JangleBox JB Nano I'm trying out in place of the Boss CS-3 and I've started to look at Noise Gate pedals.
John Sessoms
'66 Rickenbacker 330/12
'81 Rickenbacker 360/12 WB
'01 Rickenbacker 360/12 Carl Wilson #476
'12 Rickenbacker 370/12

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”