12 saddle bridge options for 1993 plus

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Amber

12 saddle bridge options for 1993 plus

Post by Amber »

As per title guys. I'm sure there are bridges out there. I just wanted to know what the general consensus is.
Go for the wider bridges available, or, just go for the 12 saddle bridge made for normal width Ric 12 string necks?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 12 saddle bridge options for 1993 plus

Post by jdogric12 »

Im not quite clear on what youre going for but the Ric 12 saddle bridge should be just fine. It should arrive ungrooved so you or your tech can cut it for your instrument's precise string placement.
Amber

Post by Amber »

jdogric12 wrote:Im not quite clear on what youre going for but the Ric 12 saddle bridge should be just fine. It should arrive ungrooved so you or your tech can cut it for your instrument's precise string placement.
Thanks. Since the 1993 Plus has a wider neck, the normal 12 saddle Ric bridge won't have the strings spread evenly across the whole usable width of the neck, higher up the fretboard. Difficult to explain.
I'm sure there are wider 12 saddle bridges available. I'm just wondering if anyone has used them and how they compare with the Ric 12 saddle bridge?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Amber wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:Im not quite clear on what youre going for but the Ric 12 saddle bridge should be just fine. It should arrive ungrooved so you or your tech can cut it for your instrument's precise string placement.
Thanks. Since the 1993 Plus has a wider neck, the normal 12 saddle Ric bridge won't have the strings spread evenly across the whole usable width of the neck, higher up the fretboard. Difficult to explain.
I'm sure there are wider 12 saddle bridges available. I'm just wondering if anyone has used them and how they compare with the Ric 12 saddle bridge?
I think the neck is just wider at the nut, so I see no problem with using the 12 saddle bridge.
Amber

Post by Amber »

[url=https://postimg.cc/image/w3jikmyn5 ... .jpg[/img][/url]

I've a 330/6 and the 1993 Plus is wider all the way up the neck. I don't think a regular 12 saddle bridge would keep the strings a uniform distance from the edge if the fretboard, all the way up the neck.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

I don't think the 1993 Plus 6-saddle bridge was specially made for the 1993 Plus -- it's a "regular sized" 6-saddle 12-string bridge, same as you would find on the current standard issue 360-12, for example.

I believe RIC makes only one type of 12-saddle bridge and it should "fit" on your 1993 Plus, though the low and high E strings likely will be grooved toward the edge of their saddles, as per your photo.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Should be fine - the 660/12 has the 12-saddle bridge just like the 370/12RM's did and it seems to work fine on both.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

If you choose the right strings, this includes a set with a wound unison G string, the only intonation really needed is on the low E string, which both strings are wound, so the cores require different compensation for the different string stretch. Get it too perfect, and you loose the shimmer that goes with the jangle. Attached is a picture of the bridge saddle for the low E string which I ordered a blank and custom filed it myself so the Low E intonates off the back of the saddle and the octave string intonates off the front of the saddle.
Rick 12 Low E Bridge Saddle.jpg
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

If you choose the right strings, this includes a set with a wound unison G string, the only intonation really needed is on the low E string
My 370/12 wouldn't support this theory. The 12-saddle bridge was installed, modified to vintage specs and intonated with a strobe by Mark Arnquist to his favorite "sweetened" tuning. There aren't drastic differences in the locations of the pairs, but there is some. This guitar always had pretty serious intonation problems with the old six-saddle bridge and the new one, installed by one of the best techs for these things out there made a huge difference.

On the other hand, my 340/12 has its original six-saddle and seems pretty much fine as is. At one point, I bought a new 12-saddle bridge to put on it, but never did, probably never will, and don't see much reason to mess with it. About the only thing I do differently is to tune the low E primary string to the third fret G, instead of the open E, and that seems to be within reason. Both twelves have TI Jazz Flats on them.
Attachments
DSCF0413a.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”