Slow fret board

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Slippery fingers

Slow fret board

Post by Slippery fingers »

Hi All,
It’s been a long long time since I’ve posted,but now I’m back, and it feels good. I have a Ric 370 VP VB, it’s a really nice guitar, but after a long time I’m back to playing it again, for the last 10 yrs or so I’ve been playing acoustics, but it’s time
I start playing my Ric as well. The only prob I have with the guitar is the varnish finish on the fret board, it’s slowing me down. Now maybe I just need to play the hell out of her, and get used to it, but if I’m not the only one that doesn’t particularly like the varnished fret board, what if any is the fix? I’ve read that some people strip the varnish off the fret board, but that’s not an option, My first thought is when I change strings to use a good automotive wax on the fret board, maybe that will allow more speed. So for all you who plays their Rics a lot and find the same prob, what have you done to solve the problem?
Thanks,
Paul
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Slow fret board

Post by jdogric12 »

I definitely know what you mean, but I've never had a problem with it. Then again I'm pretty meticulous about keeping my hands, fretboard, back of neck, strings, all very clean at all times.
zhivago

Post by zhivago »

I hear what you are saying...I find that the only way around it is to have a lighter tough, compared to my other guitars that mostly sport jumbo frets. :)
Slippery fingers

Post by Slippery fingers »

Thanks for the info, I think coming off playing acoustics exclusively for so long, the best thing is just to put the other guitars away and concentrate playing just my Ric. It shouldn’t take very long for me to adapt to that fret board.
Thanks,
Paul
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Careful - the Rick may ruin you for other guitars!!! :lol:

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”