String height

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Slippery fingers

String height

Post by Slippery fingers »

I’m in the process of researching how to set up my Ric 370 VP VB, thanks to this forum I found the Ric manual. It’s pretty good, the only thing it doesn’t say is the factory spec for string height on both the high, and low E, or what fret to measure it on. Most guitars the string height is measured at the 12th fret, from the top of the fret, to the bottom of the string. I know it’s a personal preference, but it’s nice to have a starting base, then adjust to personal preference from there. It would be easier to just take her to a tech, but I want to set her up to my liking, not the techs liking. I learned to set up my acoustics, and my Strat myself, and am much happier with that results. So if anyone here knows what the Ric factory spec for string height is for the 300 series guitars useing 10’s I greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Paul
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: String height

Post by jps »

Where do you like the action set on your other guitars? That would be a good place to start with and adjust to taste after that. IIRC, unlike Fender, for example, RIC does not publish "factory specs" for set up as that really is a totally personal thing. Of course, the guts and gals at RIC do an initial setup in order to have a playable instrument when sent to their dealers, but beyond that it really doesn't matter.

Hope this helps.
kt66

Post by kt66 »

I find with the flatter neck I can get the action very very low, which is how I like it, but
I am a bit of wuss and never bend notes.
If you like relief in the neck it may be slightly higher.
I would suggest starting with 5/64 and 4/64 at 12th fret and tweak it from there
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I always just eyeball it. I get the neck to tension, and flat, and then set the height nice and low, like Ricks like.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”