Why The Rose Morris F-Hole?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

godber
Advanced Member

Re: Why The Rose Morris F-Hole?

Post by godber »

I think that I maybe read the post wrongly Collin :oops:
...but still, a book that is ONLY about Rose Morris export models, oh yes 8)
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I enjoyed reading this thread, so bring on the definitive Rose Morris book! I expect there'll be a chapter on 1 o'clock f holes vs 2 o'clock f holes as well...
collin

Post by collin »

squirebass wrote:I enjoyed reading this thread, so bring on the definitive Rose Morris book! I expect there'll be a chapter on 1 o'clock f holes vs 2 o'clock f holes as well...
That would be a pretty short chapter. :lol:
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Why is that collin? Isn't much known about them, and the years they appeared? I seem to remember someone having a website dedicated solely to Rickenbacker "short arms", those 310-315-325 models that were much like Lennons first two guitars... There were quite a few interesting items featured on that site! My son has a 350, but has always wanted an f hole on it..
Hamburg325

Post by Hamburg325 »

I remember seeing that site, and it was so Informative, was it the 325 connection? Bring it back please :)
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

As much as Pete Townshend was an innovative musician in the sixties and I was a teenager then imo anyone who smashes up a Rickenbacker guitar as part of their stage act is nothing more than a moron and if I was Mr Hall when he asked for a 1993 plus I would have told him to whistle. And yes I am British and from London. No offence meant to my American friends or Mr Hall.
collin

Post by collin »

andyenobs wrote:As much as Pete Townshend was an innovative musician in the sixties and I was a teenager then imo anyone who smashes up a Rickenbacker guitar as part of their stage act is nothing more than a moron and if I was Mr Hall when he asked for a 1993 plus I would have told him to whistle. And yes I am British and from London. No offence meant to my American friends or Mr Hall.
What a refreshing and unique opinion.

You know, come to think of it - nobody in the history of the internet has ever criticized Mr. Townshend for something he did over 50 years ago (for which he has repeatedly expressed his regrets)?

:roll:

(p.s. You do know that RIC issued a "Pete Townshend Limited Edition model guitar in 1987, right?)
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

I wasn't aware of the special edition in 1987 but the fact he did what he did over 50 years ago is still not a reason to criticise or highlight it. Too many people who weren't alive then don't even know about it. I'm sorry I'm not an old fuddy duddy but I think he was pathetic and disrespectful to the craftsmen who built those guitars then. Of course imo.
collin

Post by collin »

andyenobs wrote:I wasn't aware of the special edition in 1987 but the fact he did what he did over 50 years ago is still not a reason to criticise or highlight it. Too many people who weren't alive then don't even know about it. I'm sorry I'm not an old fuddy duddy but I think he was pathetic and disrespectful to the craftsmen who built those guitars then. Of course imo.
This is the most tired, pointless opinion in all of Rickenbacker-dom.

If even Townshend himself regrets it, I'd say it's time to let it go and move on, mate...
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

We are all entitled to our views mate. If you want to kiss his butt be my guest.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

As much as I really, really, really like guitars - in the end it is just a guitar. We all have a different lens through which we view the world.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Personally, I don't mind that there are a handful-less Rickenbackers in the world if it means that in exchange, we got the iconic and enduring rock n' roll lore and imagery that come with Townshend smashing them up.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

It's also worth remembering that they weren't vintage instruments at the time.

Besides, he smashed plenty of Gibsons, too.

I wouldn't have done it, but I understand why he did what he did.

As to the actual topic... personally I've never much cared for how F holes look on the 300 series body style. I think the regular slash style holes suit the design a lot better.
Honkytonkman

Post by Honkytonkman »

California Vintage in Van Nuys has (or had) a 1964 360 New Style with a BOUND F Hole. Maybe a Rose Morris prototype? Maybe RM did not like the rounded body either.

And I love how above he inserts himself into his own propaganda - “Legendary Band, Legendery Supplier, Legendery Brand”.

Come er,kids, lemme tellya ‘bout the legend of... Rose Morris!”
collin

Post by collin »

Honkytonkman wrote:California Vintage in Van Nuys has (or had) a 1964 360 New Style with a BOUND F Hole. Maybe a Rose Morris prototype? Maybe RM did not like the rounded body either.
Yep, sold recently. The general consensus is that particular guitar was a one-off or experiment. It may have even been a prototype for the "new style" body, since the lower horn is noticeably different shape than later versions.

From what I gather, that guitar had not left the factory until around 1988 when Scott Jennings (of Route 66 Guitars at the time) worked with the factory to clear-out a lot of old stock instruments and NOS Transonic amps. That also explains why the '64 is in mint condition after all these years.

1964-rickenbacker-365-fireglo-1.jpg
1964-rickenbacker-365-fireglo-2 (1).jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”