John Lennon’s 58 325 at R&R Hall of fame

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Wizz

John Lennon’s 58 325 at R&R Hall of fame

Post by Wizz »

Was trying to find some info on Rickenbackers and Boyd vibratos and found this radio DJ’s (Kat Boyd) instagram showing Johns original rickenbacker on display at the hall of fame in the “stay tuned; rock on tv” exhibit that opened back in May of 2018, was this widely known and I just missed the memo?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsTh5c0AF-T ... hare_sheet

It seems odd that it’s not mentioned in any of the promotional material for the “rock on tv” exhibit but based on the wood grain I would definitely believe that this is the same guitar that was photographed in the Beatles gear book showing the guitar in its current condition. That middle pickup sure accumulated a lot of rust, if that’s all from Johns playing no wonder it was disconnected.
collin

Re: John Lennon’s 58 325 at R&R Hall of fame

Post by collin »

That's news to me, it certainly looks like same guitar. That 325 is known as "V81" if you search the forums (that's the serial number), it was last seen on display in Japan some years ago.

If it's the real thing - it's sadly just stuck in the corner of this larger display. To many people, that's the most important electric guitar ever, you'd think it would get its own display case and everything?
engineer909

Post by engineer909 »

it's there at the Rock hall of Fame. It should be front and center of the Beatles section but it's not. I don't know what they're thinking over there! Iconic guitar that's almost hidden away...
tcsmit29

Post by tcsmit29 »

Has there ever been any definite word on whether those are the genuine guitars or very accurate repros? I remember reading in the forums several years ago that there is suspicion of the Lennon guitars on display being very good reproductions. John Hall even made a post alleging the existence of reproductions that were loaned out for display. I don't remember if that was for V81 or just DB122. Has any new information surfaced? Not saying I blame the Lennon estate, those guitars are essentially priceless artifacts. I would be extremely hesitant to let them be on display. Just curious. Thanks!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Lennon's "estate" is basically Yoko.

Here are some photos taken recently by a visitor to this display at the RNRHOF. Note the chrome has been worn off the middle pickup.

I assume the RNRHOF would not knowingly be displaying a replica. But who can tell if this is the real V81?
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
engineer909

Post by engineer909 »

I guess the only way to tell would be by the wood grain. I don't know if anyone has checked that much of the detail.
collin

Post by collin »

tcsmit29 wrote:Has there ever been any definite word on whether those are the genuine guitars or very accurate repros? I remember reading in the forums several years ago that there is suspicion of the Lennon guitars on display being very good reproductions. John Hall even made a post alleging the existence of reproductions that were loaned out for display. I don't remember if that was for V81 or just DB122. Has any new information surfaced? Not saying I blame the Lennon estate, those guitars are essentially priceless artifacts. I would be extremely hesitant to let them be on display. Just curious. Thanks!
Most of the guitars in the RNRHOF are priceless artifacts, there’s no reason to think the Lennon guitar would be a replica when the others aren’t. It’s a conspiracy theory, at best.
babysinblack

Post by babysinblack »

There are three clues that this is indeed John's 325/58. First, the pickguard is white, as Babiuk describes it was replaced after Lennon ordered the guitar redone back to brown. Second, the brown in question clearly shows streaks of the automotive spray that made it black in the first place. You can clearly see a smudge on the upper bout. Finally, and most definitive, you can see the low E-string comes right off the fretboard around the 13th fret. He played it that way ever since the Bigsby was installed!
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

tcsmit29 wrote:Has there ever been any definite word on whether those are the genuine guitars or very accurate repros? I remember reading in the forums several years ago that there is suspicion of the Lennon guitars on display being very good reproductions. John Hall even made a post alleging the existence of reproductions that were loaned out for display. I don't remember if that was for V81 or just DB122. Has any new information surfaced? Not saying I blame the Lennon estate, those guitars are essentially priceless artifacts. I would be extremely hesitant to let them be on display. Just curious. Thanks!
Here is the other thread (there may be more) with further information on this guitar: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=149372

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”