Midnight Blue Discontinued

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Midnight Blue Discontinued

Post by stringsncords »

It's true.

Just got off the phone with customer service......
cassius987

Re: Midnight Blue Discontinued

Post by cassius987 »

I will admit it's been my least favorite finish, at least of recent times. Maybe of all time? Sorry to see it go for those who liked it, though.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Typically I'd agree although someone recently posted a pic of their 610 in Midnight Blue and it looked real nice.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Azureglo was always better....
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
danoadam

Post by danoadam »

I like then Rics have a flatter finish, like Azureglo and an aged Jetglo. The more recent midnight blue and ruby are too metallic for my taste

Post by 4000 »

Talking about aged & flatter finishes...

As I understood it my 4000 was originally Azureglo. Hasn't beeen refinished by paint, but by surviving a musicstore-fire.
I figure the total experience in colour & smell was best qualified by 'Lapsang Souchong Blue' the first few years I had it ;-)
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Damn, is this true?

My goal for the next year or so was to save my pennies and add this to my stable of Rics:

I have three Rics in three different finishes - FireGlo, JetGlo, MidnightBlue - and it is only the Midnight Blue that I wanted to get another of.

Seriously, this is distressing to me -- a guy anticipating another MidnightBlue Ric.
Any guesses what will replace the Midnight Blue. Do you think it will still be in the blue family?
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

cassius987 wrote:I will admit it's been my least favorite finish,
How can you dislike this marvelous finish?

cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Tommy wrote:How can you dislike this marvelous finish?
Different strokes. I'm down with pale blues (like Azureglo, or powder blue, or the old Studebaker gray-blue) but not a fan of anything deep blue, metallic or ultra-shiny. I hope you get the guitar you're dreaming of, though!
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

cassius987 wrote: I hope you get the guitar you're dreaming of, though!
Somehow I don't think that I will.
I am now trying to convince myself that a 620 in FireGlo is the best look for that guitar.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

There are always more than a few Midnight Blue 620s for sale, they produced them for over 30 years. I'm sure you'll be able to find one no problem.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=ri ... r+620+blue
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Perhaps it is not surprising that Midnightblue is discontinued when one examines the rather small proportion of instruments in this finish relative to the total number of Rickenbackers made.

While our small sample is surely not the last word on the subject, it is interesting to see that for the RRF Register Midnightblue represents only 4% of the total. Of that 4%, approximately 35% are the model 4003, 18% the model 360, 15% model 330 and 14% model 620. Other models in MIdnightblue are approximately 18%.

Despite the allure and the uniqueness of the Midnightblue and its place in Rickenbacker history, the small number made may be more trouble than they are worth financially. I do recall problems with the finish in the past, for example. As always the final word on why any instruments are added or discontinued is with RIC. It will be interesting to hear what the Factory has to say on the subject. Perhaps a COY offering may be offered in the future.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

admin wrote:...it is interesting to see that for the RRF Register Midnightblue represents only 4% of the total. ...
Damn, I should have registered my My Midnight Blue. It might have saved them from extinction.

Yes, I would imagine Midnight Blue is the lowest in sales. But perhaps that's a reason why some would still buy them: a buyer would want something that is unique. Ric is now down to just the three choices: FireGlo, JetGlo, MapleGlo. Heck, we are almost getting into Model T territory: you can have it in any color you want as long as its black.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tom: There can be no doubt but that the Midnightblue finish is unique and will be sort after for that reason by many enthusiasts. I would really like to know how many were made in total but I suspect it is in fourth place behind the Big Three.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Tommy wrote: Ric is now down to just the three choices: FireGlo, JetGlo, MapleGlo. Heck, we are almost getting into Model T territory: you can have it in any color you want as long as its black.
Matte Black (MBL) is available for the 4003, 4003S, 4003S/5 and 330 models.

There is also the Walnut series, which is available in many standard models as shown on the current RIC pricelist.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”