Neck pickup re-wind for my 610... Who and how much output?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

danoadam

Neck pickup re-wind for my 610... Who and how much output?

Post by danoadam »

The neck pickup on my '88 610 needs a rewind. Any recommendations on where to send it? And any advice concerning what output I should request? I know that the neck pups from this era are usually around 14 but they tend to be very dark sounding, right? I believe the bridge pickup is around 6 and I love they way it sounds... Thanks!

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: Neck pickup re-wind for my 610... Who and how much outpu

Post by iiipopes »

I don't know who rewinds anymore, as the person who rewound mine when it died does not rewind RIC pickups anymore. I can tell you that if it is the neck pickup, and it is D.O.A., you might try unsoldering the leads and unwinding some wire off the coil to see if the break is close to the outer winds of the pickup. Then you can resolder, reassemble, and go from there. If the break is deep in the coil, then yes, a rewind is in order. Remember to use 44AWG wire, although I forget which insulation, as for that thin of wire, it does make a difference, and don't be afraid to only go to @ 8 kohm's worth of wire (I don't know how many winds that is) to get clarity in the neck position, while still retaining body of tone.
collin

Post by collin »

I asked around recently regarding a toaster rewind - but the process is the same for a hi gain.

There's a couple places who will do this, including Sentell Pickups (http://www.sentellpickups.net/) in Sacramento, CA.

The downside is that the process is cost-effective for a Toaster pickup, but costs more than buying a replacement Hi Gain. Personally I would do the latter, you can find button top hi gains on eBay for reasonable prices, and swap over the black cover from your 610 so everything matches.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Unfortunately hi gain pickups usually spec out at around 12k, which isn't much better than 14k. I'd either have it rewound to 8k, or buy a pickup from Classic Amplification, and specify 8k.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

The reason that Dane and I both say 8 kohms' worth of wire is that the toaster slugs are alnico, which contribute to the overall inductance of the pickup, but the pickups in high gains are composite, which do not, in spite of their slugs. So a rewind of a high-gain needs more wire so the magnetic field does not saturate the coil and cause it to sound harsh. In other words, @ 8 kohms or so.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”