New 660/12 in Mapleglo

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

andyenobs

New 660/12 in Mapleglo

Post by andyenobs »

Hi All
Made it over to the States last Sunday. Stayed for a couple of days in Boston and then on a horrific journey to Dallas with AA (20 Hours) to my son's. The new 660/12 that I bought in May was waiting for me and what a beauty. So pleased with it. Lovely grained body. Thank you to Haight Ashbury in San Francisco for getting it to my son's safely. Probably get the set up and intonation re-done when I get back to the UK but so very happy with it. But it looks as though it is going to have to go in the hold on the way back. Fedex quoted me $700 dollars roughly. It is just too much. I will post photo asap.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: New 660/12 in Mapleglo

Post by jps »

Try DHL.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

I will do Jeffrey, thanks for the tip appreciated

Andy
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Help again.
I am now back in the UK and awaiting the arrival of the guitar. It is due to me on Tuesday 1st October via FedEx. Unable to use DHL and the wife kept telling me it wasn't worth the risk having it in the hold on first American Airlines and then Norwegian so I shelled out $510 to go by FedEx. I won't know whether or not I have avoided duty and vat until it arrives so just have to wait and see but if I have the saving is still close £1000 so very much worth it.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

The USA federal Department of Transportation has regulations that give favoured treatment to musical instruments, depending on the circumstances. Ask when you check in.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

The guitar arrived ok but no charge for Import Duty or VAT yet. I will have to wait and see.
Can anyone tell me how I get photos of it on here and the Register?
Thanks
Andy
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

andyenobs wrote:Can anyone tell me how I get photos of it on here and the Register?
Thanks
Andy
It is easy to add photos. Important: file size can be no larger than 1280x1280 pixels, and a maximum of 500Kb. I size mine so that the longer dimension is 1200 pixels, adn keep the file size to below 500KB, closer to around 470-490Kb, just to ensure it will "take".

When you open a diolog box to post a message you will see under it to the left - Options Upload attachment. Click on that, then click "Choose File" and navigate to the desired file on your hard drive, then click "Add the file". Once the file has been attached you can, if you want to, place the file wherever the cursor is at, or do nothing and it will attach at the bottom of your post.

Hope this makes sense.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

The Register allows larger photos than the main forum, not sure how big though.

When resizing, if using jpg images, use a program that allows you to remove the exif data. That can reduce the file size a fair bit...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Andy it will be great to see the 660/12 photos after having followed it's journey to the UK from afar. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Don't worry Peter I am not good on a computer but I will get it on here somehow. But it won't happen until next week as I am taking it to a renowned tech tomorrow to be set up. His clients include Dave Gilmour Gary Moore McCartney and so on. He set up my 660/6 spot on so I am going to get the 12 String done as well. To be fair the shop set up ain't bad but I know he will get it better and check out the intonation at the same time.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Scott thanks for your info. I had found this out myself but Norwegian would not play ball. If the case was more than 1 metre long it would not be allowed in the cabin and it is actually 50mm longer.
Thanks anyway.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Sorry about the delay with the photos but left my tablet behind in Dallas. Should be back with me this Friday. I don't have a PC at home.
What I have noticed on the new 660/12 is that the Pickguard and TRC have a sparkly gold finish which is brighter compared with my 660/6 made in 2011 and has a much flatter gold finish.
Were you aware of this change and do you know when it was introduced ?
Photos to follow soon.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”