GOLD PICKGUARD & TRC

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

andyenobs

GOLD PICKGUARD & TRC

Post by andyenobs »

I have a new 2018 660/12 and the Pickguard and TRC are in a very sparkly gold finish. Yet I have a 2011 660/6 and the same fittings are in a flat gold finish with no sparkle. Does anyone know when this came about or has one of my 660s had replacements. Can anyone inform me please ?
Tubwompus

Re: GOLD PICKGUARD & TRC

Post by Tubwompus »

I just bought a new authentic gold ‘guard from Rick and it is, indeed, that “other” thing as you describe. Mine is for the bottom ‘guard on a 2018 660/12 and now the top and bottom do NOT match. Same for TRC’s. So Rick’s specs for them HAVE changed, and pretty recently.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Thanks Sam for the info. As much as i don't have a problem with the look of the new ones it is very naughty by Rickenbacker in fact a bit of a slap in the face to their existing customers because of exactly what has happened to you. The parts aren't cheap either especially over here in the UK. Rickenbacker could have responded to my very first post but nothing. It's almost as if they wanted to keep it a secret. Not impressed.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Anyone know the cost of the complete gold pickguard and TRC over there in the States ?
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

andyenobs wrote:Anyone know the cost of the complete gold pickguard and TRC over there in the States ?
You don't want to know.

The pickguards can be had at reasonable prices over here - 50 to 70 dollars. High quality stuff with the factory correct gold.
The trick is the TRC. Not for sale here by Ric or by aftermarket distributors. Have to buy on ebay (and they go for a small fortune) or make one yourself (and that ain't easy).

I swapped out my white for gold on my 330. I think it looks great. The guards I bought and the TRC I made myself. The Guards and the TRC are the exact same gold paint and the same paint that Ric uses. I have the code somewhere. If you need it I could find it.

Image Image
Tubwompus

Post by Tubwompus »

Helluva fine job there, Tommy.
tcsmit29

Post by tcsmit29 »

Yeah easy availability of gold appointments would be on my Rickenbacker wish list. I think the gold TRC and guard covers look great on most of the colors of guitar finishes available. Turquoise and gold is my favorite. I think Ruby Red and gold would be pretty awesome too. Of course gold goes well with mapleglo, jetglo, and fireglo. Come on Rick, at least, let us have gold as a special order item!!
Tubwompus

Post by Tubwompus »

I think it was on this very site, once upon a time, that I saw that a member had also made up some FINE-looking tortoise shell guards and TRC for his guitar, as well.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

I think it's disappointing that Rickenbacker don't make these gold Pickguards and TRCs available to buy although I suspect they don't want there Vintage re-issues undermined. May be if John Hall reads these posts he will enlighten us.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Of course it would be easy to limit the supply of these just to owners of re-issues by getting the serial numbers from the guitars they're being ordered for.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

andyenobs wrote:Of course it would be easy to limit the supply of these just to owners of re-issues by getting the serial numbers from the guitars they're being ordered for.
Ric fears counterfeiting.

Sure someone can give their serial number to Ric and Ric would then send them a gold TRC. But what's to stop that person from selling it at a healthy profit to counterfeiters?

Ric used to (maybe they still do) offer an exchange for TRCs. You give them the white TRC and some cash, they send you a gold TRC. Ric works things out that way with exploding R tailpieces. You have to send them your broken one before they can sell you a new one.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I left my white truss rod cover off my 4003 fireglo. I needed to make trod adjustments so often I just left it off...permanently.
4 seasons weather here in MD.
Can I sell the trod cover? Legal?

BTW, I Got a custom clear acrylic pguard. Matches!!!
Tubwompus

Post by Tubwompus »

Tell ya one thing, I had no idea how many different size TRC’s that Rick has made until I started looking for them as part of my converting 3 JG guitars and a JG 4003 to all gold plastic! I bought no less than 3 off of eBay that the different sellers were kind enough to accept as returns, due to vague descriptions and the screw holes not lining up. To this day, only the one on the bass has screws in all 3 holes. For, the rest, I had to settle for getting some where two holes actually did fit. And I’d be mortified to say what I paid for them! All I’m gonna say is that there’s nice money in the used gold Rick TRC retail business, labyrinth that it is in matching sizes to models.

Regarding gold pickguards, it’s only recently that they could even be bought directly again. I emailed them about a year ago and they flat recommended Pickguardian. (Tony does fine, fine work too, if I may add. He did 4 sets of guards for me that are just lovely. He won’t go near TRC’s, however, due to legal ramifications.)

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”