Jackson Browne Model

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jcreasy

Jackson Browne Model

Post by jcreasy »

Kids,

I am wondering about the Jackson Browne model/prototype. I've done a little digging before asking... But here we go.

As near as I can tell, the Ricks on his albums are the BakeLite slide guitars. Right? I cannot find a PIC of him playing a standard Rick ES. Most of the songs I hear, apart from slide, I swear I hear a Stratocaster (though some MIGHT be a Rick solid body) though a Fender style amp. (Maybe a Tele)?

Did he play a Rick on recordings, or live, or, did he just respect the guitar and manufacturer and wanted to Church one up?

Any insight?

Thanks,

JKC
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Jackson Browne Model

Post by doctorwho »

For the prototype model, the only information I am aware of is in the Bacon and Day book.
(Reproduced for informational purpose only.)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

Thanks, guys.

What I am wondering is if he played one, other than the "Panda" types and doing slide? I can't hear it anywhere. OR, was this an experiment/venture?

Doesn't really matter much either way (to me at least), I was just curious.

JKC
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I do not believe that Jackson Browne ever recorded with this model. I think RIC approached him but that, in the end, a deal was not reached. I am sure someone at the Factory may still recall. In any case, I am confident that John Hall would know. I do know that John Hall had three of these models at some point. Too bad that a signature model did not come out of this.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

I was fortunate enough to buy one of John's three prototypes some time ago. A very interesting guitar. It's a shame the Limited Edition didn't happen.
IMG_1842.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congratulations Graham. Why am I not surprised. :roll: :lol:
Please take a few moments and tell us more about it.

jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

Thanks for the replies.

Mr. Griffiths,

Can you share a description of how it sounds and how it is wired? My only point of reference is 360s with Hi-Gains and Toasters.

I am particularly interested in the humbucker. I've heard they more like a mini humbucker and can be splittable.

In any event, very pretty guitar.

JKC
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

jcreasy wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Mr. Griffiths,

Can you share a description of how it sounds and how it is wired? My only point of reference is 360s with Hi-Gains and Toasters.

I am particularly interested in the humbucker. I've heard they more like a mini humbucker and can be splittable.

In any event, very pretty guitar.

JKC
Thank you for letting me jump in here. I have played the humbuckers and I have one in a custom bass. Yes, they are splittable, but you have to undo the humbucker wiring of the two coils, separating the black and clear leads which are soldered together, to get to the individual coils. Frankly, in full humbucking mode, the top end drops off and the pickup has more mids, not like a toaster or high gain at all, more like a pickup designed for overdriving the front end of a Marshall. The DC resistance measures at @ 15 kohms in full humbucking mode. Split, you get some of the brightness back.

Link to HB-1 wiring code:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19521-HB1%20Wiring.pdf

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”