jps
RRF Consultant

Re: NAMM 2020

Post by jps »

I would love to have gone but got too many things happening here at home. :cry:
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

I hate to be negative, but I'd bet my Ric collection that NAMM 2020 is going to be just another "Snooze Fest" for us Rickenbacker lovers!! :(
collin

Post by collin »

pauleway wrote:I hate to be negative, but I'd bet my Ric collection that NAMM 2020 is going to be just another "Snooze Fest" for us Rickenbacker lovers!! :(
Let’s not forgot NAMM is a trade show meant for the industry and dealers. Product that sells will be shown to prospective and current dealers, the show is not meant to dazzle the public with new models every year. In fact, it’s unrealistic to even expect that, despite what major brands like Gibson and Fender may lead you to believe.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I'd like to see the V68 bass.
"Knowledge is Power"
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Nothing new....
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

stringsncords wrote:Nothing new....
What a surprise! They haven't done nothing worth mentioning since the 1993Plus came out.
Now that was a something to bring to the NAMM show!!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I saw lots of lefties in their booth.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I mentioned the Vintage re-issue V68 bass above, (my personal choice of course).

But I'm wondering, with the new 5 string bass and the occasional "special runs", it looks like RIC is heading in a more modern direction now. I wonder if we will ever see another bass/guitar "vintage re-issue"?

Opinions?
"Knowledge is Power"
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

The "Classic Reissues" are always the first ones to go on Reverb and eBay....but RIC is happy to ignore that.
I've been hoping for a double-bound 6-string as a stock item for years now, but anyone who wants one has to go to the used market.

RIC is a company that truly misses the boat on many things, but it's obvious that they don't care; they are at capacity producing
their basic stock items; 330, 360, and 4003, with 3 basic colors and Walnut. Obviously, someone is buying them. The special limited runs
are few and far between (and quickly sell out), and when the "new color" is Matte Black, how can anyone possibly get excited about their products?

On the other hand, the 1993 Plus and the 5 string bass were nice new additions. Nothing this year, however, and that's disappointing.

Before this era of complacency began, this forum was a busy place. Many familiar names have gone away, and it's sad, but there
just isn't much to talk about anymore. Even their own RIC website is virtually ignored. No matter how you feel about him, John Hall was
the voice of RIC; he was very active on this site, and he's missed.

I'm happy that RIC is still around, but I wish that they promoted some enthusiasm among the guitar buying public. It was fun when they did.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

stringsncords wrote:I'm happy that RIC is still around, but I wish that they promoted some enthusiasm among the guitar buying public.
Oh, there's Plenty-O-Enthusiasm, at least among the bass buting public; not on the RRF, so much, nut there is elsewhere.
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

I think that once us old guys, who were brought up with Beatles-Byrds- Animals-Petty, 12string era are gone, Rickenbacker will be in trouble.
I hope I'm wrong, because their guitars are the highest in quality, and appearance, but they seem to have no forsite, just this is "Good Enough", we're doing just fine - business as usual!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Perhaps it is up to us to generate enthusiasm by talking more about the instruments we love. It is too easy to click and like. Writing something meaningful about Rickenbackers takes more thought. Making the most out of what we have is what lights the morning star.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

admin wrote:Perhaps it is up to us to generate enthusiasm by talking more about the instruments we love. It is too easy to click and like. Writing something meaningful about Rickenbackers takes more thought. Making the most out of what we have is what lights the morning star.
This. ^
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

It wouldn't take much to create some NAMM excitement:

Color of the year was fun, popular, and doesn't require any retooling - it would be something fresh to anticipate. And Matte Black doesn't count...

A double-bound 6 string would be great, too, even if it's a basic 330 with binding - it doesn't have to be expensive. Call it a modern 360 WB.
Use the standard 3 colors, plus (perhaps) some translucent colors. Translucents with binding would look awesome, IMO.

Any thoughts?

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”