The Rickenbacker Moment That Brought You Onboard

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Re: The Rickenbacker Moment That Brought You Onboard

Post by admin »

John thank you very much for your "Rickenbacker Circle of Life." I feel your regret on guitars that did not make the cut at the time but you obviously came out on top in the end. Hakuna Matata. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jason, what an outstanding choice of the moment that was the genesis of your Rickenbacker admiration. That scintillating solo by Rutherford sent shivers up my spine. Thanks for including the video. Phil was not too shabby either. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Interesting that Genesis was a major catalyst in the both of us seeking out Rick instruments. :shock:

Majorly different eras of Genesis. Mine was the better era :mrgreen:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jps wrote:Interesting that Genesis was a major catalyst in the both of us seeking out Rick instruments. :shock:

Majorly different eras of Genesis. Mine was the better era :mrgreen:
Jeffrey, that is because your era was "In the beginning" :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

iiipopes wrote: I had a break from my apprenticeship to a barrister and took the train to Liverpool. The tour was on the real MMT bus, restored. I have a picture of getting my hair cut in the barbershop on Penney Lane, etc. No music stores, but everything else, including Strawberry Field, the roundabout, the Cavern as rebuilt, etc. Believe it or not, I never really connected with the 4001 due to my right hand technique being more "conventional," coming from the J-bass. So when I learned about the 4002, I bought an issue of Bass Player magazine and called every music store nationwide that advertised in it (remember, this was before the internet) to get one. Sorry the pictures faded before I could get them scanned. I think the negatives are in good shape. Yes, on that trip, I did everything from MMT to having lunch in the Lord's dining hall after accompanying him as he argued a case in the House of Lords.
Scott these pictures, faded or not, look great and must take you back to some great times. You certainly made the best of your Liverpool journey, a trip that I have yet to experience up until this day. Good point on the 4002 model. I had not thought of this benefit until reading your comments.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cjj wrote: It wasn't until a few years after I got that 4001 that I found out that Rickenbacker's were the bass in a lot of the songs I really liked. We didn't have the internet back then and I didn't have money to buy albums so I had no idea what instruments were being used. I guess it was mere chance that I got hooked on Rickenbacker, but I'm glad it happened...
CJ thanks for a great story. The way you came to Rickenbacker almost seems as if the brand was in your DNA.

stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

I saw The Beatles in Philadelphia on September 2, 1964. My life changer. Like everyone else in the USA, I saw them on the Ed Sullivan shows, which was when my fire was lit - after seeing them live, it was like when John said "That's a good job" while watching an Elvis movie. I was hooked, and I particularly liked George's Country Gent and his Rickenbacker 360/12C63. I started playing a Danelectro with an Ampeg Reverberocket, and was in my first band at age 15, playing and singing lead vocals (it's difficult to get a young guy to sing when he's never even tried it, but I stepped up, and it worked out). The band got better quickly, and I went through a Framus, and a Gretsch Tennessean. There were NO RICKENBACKERS IN PHILADELPHIA!
Fast forward to the early 90's - a friend of mine inherited $30,000, and quickly blew it on guitars. HE HAD A 360/12V64, and he sold it to me to raise some cash (again).
I played, and played it, but just couldn't get used to the thin neck, no matter how I tried. Then, a friend told me about PICK OF THE RICKS, a local business which specialized in Rickenbacker guitars. FINALLY! Chris Clayton is a gem of a guy, and we became fast friends. I've done a lot of business with Chris over the years (I was up to 24 Ricks at one point - obviously a bad case of RAS). I've traded, bought, and sold Ricks over the last 20 years, made some great friends, and was able to acquire some really beautiful guitars:
I have the very first Ruby 381V69 (Chris reserved the NAMM display model for me at the show), and from Kevin Kuney, my Carl Wilson 360/12 CW which is number 500 (out of 500). I have owned a McGuinn, a Townshend, and a Lennon, all have since been sold. To scratch the George Harrison itch from my teens, I have a 360/12C63 12 string and the Guitar Center limited edition 360C63 6 string, and a custom-finished 360WB by Larry Davis, among other beauties.
So, the Beatles were ultimately to blame for my RAS, which has been fueled by Chris Clayton, Kevin Kuney, eBay and Reverb. I've been a forum member for several years, and know the names of all of the regulars. Sadly, things have changed a lot over the years, but since I don't smoke drink, or gamble, I need a vice, and Ricks are it.
And I couldn't be happier.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

stringsncords wrote:I saw The Beatles in Philadelphia on September 2, 1964. My life changer. Like everyone else in the USA, I saw them on the Ed Sullivan shows, which was when my fire was lit - after seeing them live, it was like when John said "That's a good job" while watching an Elvis movie. I was hooked, and I particularly liked George's Country Gent and his Rickenbacker 360/12C63. I started playing a Danelectro with an Ampeg Reverberocket, and was in my first band at age 15, playing and singing lead vocals (it's difficult to get a young guy to sing when he's never even tried it, but I stepped up, and it worked out). The band got better quickly, and I went through a Framus, and a Gretsch Tennessean. There were NO RICKENBACKERS IN PHILADELPHIA!
Bob, thanks for weighing in and for taking us down your long road of Rickenbacker discovery. What a wonderful collection you have had. At the end of the day, do you have a favourite? Which one got played the most. :?:

stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

360WB 1.JPG
Thanks, Peter! It's really difficult to pick a favorite out of so many great guitars.

But, I've always had a soft spot for this one, a 1993 360 WB that I agonized over purchasing on eBay, and finally pulled the trigger
at about 4:00 am, after a sleepless night - I suppose it was meant to be.

Chris Clayton installed toasters on it, and the rest is history.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

stringsncords wrote:
360WB 1.JPG
Thanks, Peter! It's really difficult to pick a favorite out of so many great guitars.

But, I've always had a soft spot for this one, a 1993 360 WB that I agonized over purchasing on eBay, and finally pulled the trigger
at about 4:00 am, after a sleepless night - I suppose it was meant to be.

Chris Clayton installed toasters on it, and the rest is history.
Bob I see why this gorgeous instrument was calling your name until 4:00am. It would be hard to sleep while passing this one by. This instrument was made for toasters. The control knobs are outstanding as well. A great decision. A great guitar. A great keeper. Thanks for posting a photo here.

girllennon76

Post by girllennon76 »

The Beatles....

I'm a 2nd generation fan. I got bit hard by the Beatle bug and once I saw A Hard Day's Night on VHS, that solidified my want for a Ric. But not any, I wanted John's 325. I began researching everything I could get my hands on, including this very forum.

I was also attracted to the Ric sound before the Beatles. My ears would perk up whenever I heard the dissonant chime on the Smiths records or listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. We'll give U2 a nod, particularly (Pride) in the Name of Love. I still haven't confirmed to this day if Rics were used on that tune. It sure sounds like it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

girllennon76 wrote:The Beatles....

I'm a 2nd generation fan. I got bit hard by the Beatle bug and once I saw A Hard Day's Night on VHS, that solidified my want for a Ric. But not any, I wanted John's 325. I began researching everything I could get my hands on, including this very forum.

I was also attracted to the Ric sound before the Beatles. My ears would perk up whenever I heard the dissonant chime on the Smiths records or listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. We'll give U2 a nod, particularly (Pride) in the Name of Love. I still haven't confirmed to this day if Rics were used on that tune. It sure sounds like it.
Joelle: Thanks for chiming in. The groups listed are all outstanding reasons to be smitten by the Rickenbacker tone. Please follow up with a photo of your model 325 if you were eventually successful in finding one. Your comments are appreciated.

drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

It was two occurrences: Seeing Roger McGuinn and his 360-12 on TV playing "Mr. Tambourine Man," and Pete Townshend playing his Rose-Morris 1993 on Shindig, doing "I Can't Explain."
espidog

Post by espidog »

I'm 62 and a bass player. I can't recall a time when I didn't love the visual aesthetics of the 4001/4003 basses. What sealed my fate, though, was Bruce Foxton and the sound of his 4001 on the first two JAM albums. 8) From that moment on, I was determined to own one at the earliest opportunity.

It only took me until 2005. :D
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

For me it was the very fortunate, and lucky opportunity to meet both Chris Squire, and John Entwhislte with a few months of each other in 69-70 in the UK

The first Rickenbacker bass I ever held was Chris's and, having just heard him play and being blown away with the sounds he was producing, if you've never heard a 4001 being played through twin 6x15's with 4 Orange-Matamp 100w Amps , I can tell you it is a sound to behold, to physically feel in your chest and stomach, it sounds like choirs of Baritone Angels singing in harmony through a literal wall of sound, this wasn't a massive PA reenforced set, this was sheer power from the Bass Stack in a 400 seat theatre.

I was then able (read dragged) to talk to him, and as a shy 15 year old (I'm now 66) actually try his bass, I'd been playing bass for less than a year at this point and owned and was learning on a horrible horrible cheap copy of a Hofner Violin bass, so hold that instrument, and experience the feel and fit of that lovely neck and body in my hands was an Epiphanic moment in my life, that, combined with the glorious sounds I had just been hearing was my turning point, I knew what I wanted, coveted, lusted to own and play. This fortunate meeting put me on the path I am still on with these wonderful instruments. I've been very lucky to own one since 1973, it took me, with the help of my Dad who advanced the deposit, over two years to get one imported to Scotland via McCormack's Music in Glasgow.

I have played them (and Fireglo's) almost exclusively in the 47 years since, I still prefer to play though 15's, never owned a 6x15 but have, and still own, 4x15's including my Acoustic 408 :D, I'm not been quite able to reproduce that wonderful wall of sound, but have on occasion come close.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”