Why Did You Let Your Rickenbacker Go?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Why did you let your Rickenbacker guitar or bass go?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:40 am

Playability
19%
Tone
6%
Aesthetics
2%
Weight
2%
Problems of Adjustment
6%
Quality of Construction
No votes
Trade for Another Instrument
27%
Financial
21%
Other
17%

Total votes: 48

admin
Site Admin

Re: Why Did You Let Your Rickenbacker Go?

Post by admin »

stringsncords wrote:I sold three Limited Edition Rickenbackers, a Townshend, a McGuinn, and a Lennon.
I've also sold two Rose Morris Model 1997 Reissues.

The pickguard and the certificate seemed to be the only differences from regular production
models of the 1998 SP, and the325C64.

I sold the JL for $3.1K, and purchased a mint condition 325C64 for $2,100 - a $800 net gain,
essentially for surrendering the certificate and pickguard. The guitars are identical.

I may have overpaid for the PT @ $4,200 - the fees to sell it (@ $4,400) caused a small loss.
Despite only a small run of 250, they don't seem to be appreciating in value. I had a 1998 SP
for a while (since traded for a 360 C63 6-string Guitar Center Ltd Edition), and it was very close
to the PT, at half the price. I prefer 2 PU models over 3 PU models, anyway.

The McGuinn was the most unique of my limited editions (with the onboard compressor) but,
I didn't gig with it, and was actually hesitant to take a very expensive collectors' guitar out of the house.
NOTE - I went through some major RAS for a few years, and did a 3-for-one trade for the RM;
in the end, it wasn't worth it. I sold it for over $6K (at a loss), and haven't looked back. Oh, well.

Despite the mystique of the F Hole, the Rose Morris model is essentially a 330 - I did well selling
them (a FG and a MG), and I have a great 330 AFG with toasters that more than favorably compares to them.
They were beauties, but I actually prefer double-bound models, and my one 330 is enough.

All this being said, I still have a 6-string and 12-string Carl Wilson(s) and they are among my
absolute favorites among my collection. They're amazingly beautiful, lightweight, and sound great.
Of all of the limited edition models I've owned, they are my keepers.

Good Question, Peter!
Bob, thanks for your detailed review. This is quite a story and a "who's who" of the Rickenbacker Signature models. In the end, you certainly seem to have come out ahead. I say this because for me, at the end of the day, your Carl Wilson 6 and 12 string model bookends are beautiful sounding, gorgeous looking and well-crafted instruments by the Factory. Bravo!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Tele295

Post by Tele295 »

I couldn’t get along with Ric 6-strings, but my Ric 12 is glorious
If I'm not with you
I'm not so much of a man
I'm like a fish on the sand
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tele295 wrote:I couldn’t get along with Ric 6-strings, but my Ric 12 is glorious
MIles, thanks for your comment. Please tell us more about your Ric 6 string experience.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Carl Wilsons 6 and 12.JPG
Here are my aforementioned Carl Wilsons; 6-string is #272, and 12-string is #500! (of 500 made)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

stringsncords wrote:
Carl Wilsons 6 and 12.JPG
Here are my aforementioned Carl Wilsons; 6-string is #272, and 12-string is #500! (of 500 made)
Bob: Thanks for posting the dynamic duo. A terrific pair. Oh, wouldn't it be nice to own these. :)

Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

A turquoise 4003 made way for a jetglo 4003FL.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I let my first Rick go, that wonderful '74 Mapleglo 4001 I talked about in the thread on first Ricks. It was my only bass at the time and I sold all the rest of my music gear at the same time.

At the time, I was working a full time engineering job as well as a 24/7/365 job trying to keep my farm/ranch going. I just didn't have any time for playing music. And farming, being what it is, money was tight even with the day job, so some extra cash was certainly welcome.

But really, the main reason I sold it all was because of the living conditions. We were living pretty rough after we took on the farm. We lived in a travel trailer with no power and precious little heat in cold, snowy winters. It was going to be several years of this until we could build a house (turned out to be 7 years). I figured that the 4001 would be ruined by those conditions and so, made the hard decision to sell it and the rest of the gear.

It was the right decision. Other stuff we had, furniture, etc. certainly suffered from those conditions. But it WAS hard, and I still regret it to this day.

After I built the house, I got another 4001, a '76 Azureglo. I looked hard to try to get my first one back, still do from time to time, but I've never seen it come up for sale.

Anyway, things haven't turned out too badly. I have more than enough Rick basses now to play a different one every day, and several on Sundays...
8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

What are you people … NUTS ?? I don't think I could ever let any of mine go !!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

steverok wrote:What are you people … NUTS ?? I don't think I could ever let any of mine go !!!
Steve hard to do I admit. Someone once said, "Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans." :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cjj wrote:I let my first Rick go, that wonderful '74 Mapleglo 4001 I talked about in the thread on first Ricks. It was my only bass at the time and I sold all the rest of my music gear at the same time.

At the time, I was working a full time engineering job as well as a 24/7/365 job trying to keep my farm/ranch going. I just didn't have any time for playing music. And farming, being what it is, money was tight even with the day job, so some extra cash was certainly welcome.

But really, the main reason I sold it all was because of the living conditions. We were living pretty rough after we took on the farm. We lived in a travel trailer with no power and precious little heat in cold, snowy winters. It was going to be several years of this until we could build a house (turned out to be 7 years). I figured that the 4001 would be ruined by those conditions and so, made the hard decision to sell it and the rest of the gear.

It was the right decision. Other stuff we had, furniture, etc. certainly suffered from those conditions. But it WAS hard, and I still regret it to this day.

After I built the house, I got another 4001, a '76 Azureglo. I looked hard to try to get my first one back, still do from time to time, but I've never seen it come up for sale.

Anyway, things haven't turned out too badly. I have more than enough Rick basses now to play a different one every day, and several on Sundays...
8)
The reality of life sets in with a vengeance sometimes CJ. But you also got transported to a lovely place. Not too shabby! :) Thanks for your comments.

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

steverok wrote:What are you people … NUTS ?? I don't think I could ever let any of mine go !!!
I hope none of us get to the point I did at one time: bad turn of events, resulting in loss of career, etc. So the choice: keep the Les Paul and the Fender Vibrolux, or miss a house payment to keep the roof over the wife and son.... Rebuilt everything over time and I'm doing much better now!
girllennon76

Post by girllennon76 »

I let my 1996 325v63 (serial C9 8351) go back in Nov 2014. Things were really rough financially for my family, so the guitar was sacrificed. That was not easy on me. It sent me into a downward spiral mentally and I was depressed for months over losing my sole electric guitar that I owned for 14 years. What's worse is that it's on its second owner after it sold and it will be up for sale again, but I am in no position to get it back.

I do have an '83 modified 320 that turned into a great guitar. I don't want to part with that in order to get the 325 back. The 320 can be a moody guitar (box back Grovers are ****) but it's far more versatile than the 325's stock electronics. It's become my favorite Ric despite the gut-wrenching experience of being without my beloved 325.

Part of me desperately wants my 325 back, the other part says it's okay to let it go. That 325 wasn't just a guitar to me, it was my therapist. It got me through plenty of dark times.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

girllennon76 wrote:I let my 1996 325v63 (serial C9 8351) go back in Nov 2014. Things were really rough financially for my family, so the guitar was sacrificed. That was not easy on me. It sent me into a downward spiral mentally and I was depressed for months over losing my sole electric guitar that I owned for 14 years. What's worse is that it's on its second owner after it sold and it will be up for sale again, but I am in no position to get it back.

I do have an '83 modified 320 that turned into a great guitar. I don't want to part with that in order to get the 325 back. The 320 can be a moody guitar (box back Grovers are ****) but it's far more versatile than the 325's stock electronics. It's become my favorite Ric despite the gut-wrenching experience of being without my beloved 325.

Part of me desperately wants my 325 back, the other part says it's okay to let it go. That 325 wasn't just a guitar to me, it was my therapist. It got me through plenty of dark times.
Joelle, there will be many who read your post that empathize with the loss you felt. I know that sometime in the future a Model 325 will resurface one again. Until then you have the tone of the 320. We all have our fingers crossed that you will find another that fits your budget. If you want to talk future about Rickenbackers,
Anytime at all, all you gotta do it call
and we'll be here.

andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

I first saw a 330/6 FG in 1965 when a pal of mine along the street was bought one by his parents. Although young he was playing in a band at school and his Dad was something to do with EMI so he was expected to progress. From that time I always wanted a Rickenbacker so in 1991 with agreement from my other half I ordered a Tom Petty Limited Edition. When it came I was disappointed there was very poor workmanship on it. It was taken back by Rickenbacker and replaced and as I understood it the first one was destroyed. It cost £1250 in the UK then. Anyway in 2016 I decided I was fed up with the FG colour and realised I could part x it for a Vox Amp and a brand new 330/12 Walnut so I did. After about a year I realised the narrower neck was just a pain so again I decided part x it for a Taylor 12 String Electro-Acoustic. However a year ago I saw a 660/6 MG 2011 on eBay and once I saw it in the flesh and saw it was more or less perfect I bought it. I absolutely love it. So last year late one night after I had a few scotches I saw a new 660/12 MG online at Haight Ashbury Music in San Francisco so I bought it and had it shipped to my son in Dallas and then brought it back with me after visiting him last September. It's a cracker. They have both been set up by a top tech and I will never part with them. In the future if I can afford it I may buy a 330/6 Walnut but I am 70 later this year if I survive this ghastly virus and it will depend on funds as I no longer work. The thing with Rickenbackers is you either love them or hate them and I love them.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

I let my '82 4003 go because I didn't play it much -- I didn't appreciate the chunky neck at the time -- and because a good friend of mine, who had been playing it exclusively for years in our band, developed a relationship with it. A 90's 4003 in white showed up on my local Craigslist; I always wanted a white one, and loved the neck profile on basses from that era, so I convinced my band-mate to finally buy the '82 from me so I could snag the new one.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”