Why Did You Let Your Rickenbacker Go?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Why did you let your Rickenbacker guitar or bass go?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:40 am

Playability
19%
Tone
6%
Aesthetics
2%
Weight
2%
Problems of Adjustment
6%
Quality of Construction
No votes
Trade for Another Instrument
27%
Financial
21%
Other
17%

Total votes: 48

admin
Site Admin

Re: Why Did You Let Your Rickenbacker Go?

Post by admin »

Sérgio wrote:I’ve only ever owned one Rick, my 620 and I don’t plan on letting it go. I like it as it is, and though it definitely ain’t a versatile guitar like a Stratocaster, it is very good for what it is made for.
Sérgio I am glad this Model 620 measures up for you. I would be interested in those Stratocaster features that you find makes it so versatile.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sloop_john_b wrote:The last one I had was a 1983 330 in Jetglo (just like Johnny Marr's) - I really made a go of it to make this a gigging instrument, but it was not to be, for a few reasons: tuning stability was poor, the tone was sort of in no-mans-land sonically, and I found the hard edges of the body to be uncomfortable.

The neck was fine - sort of on the larger side - but it simply didn't have the magic that a good 60's Rickenbacker neck does.
John: Sorry that your 1983 Model 330 didn't work out. Variability across instruments that takes us away from our top game can certainly be a deal breaker.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jch wrote:I traded my 325V59MG for a 52 reissue Tele,stupid i know ,but i wasn't playing the Rick as it was some what difficult to get along with,it was great for rhythm though.Sold the Tele after 2 years ,couldn't bond with the neck.

My 330JG was sold as i wanted another guitar, i didn't have the money so i sold it,i really regret that though as it was a lovely player and was a gift bought from my cousin.
I ended up having to sell the guitar i sold the 330 for too pay a car repair bill!:roll:

I was told by the shop that it went to a good home though,a Weller/Jam fan who had a 330 and wanted a second.
John I would not agree that your decision was "stupid" as for a player there is little point in keeping an instrument that you don't play. Sometimes the romance of playing the same instrument as the musician we admire quickly fades when reality sits in and we find it does not suit our fancy. I too have been there.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pauleway wrote:I could never figure out (and still can't) why Rickenbacker made such a thin neck for a company who primarily is known for their 12 string guitars, and
I'm sure at first, for financial reasons, they just put twelve strings on their models, but after they became so popular, I'm sure they heard the complaints of the guitars being too hard to adjust to, why they didn't come out with the wider neck for all their 12 string models.(I know-I know, 660/12+1993Plus).
Everyone I have ever talk to about why they got rid of their Ric-12, they always said "Too Hard to Play-Can't Adjust to it"! Even Petty and Townsend requested a wider neck when they were asked what they would prefer on their models. (Petty-660/12, Townsend-1993Plus).
Just seems like common business sense to please your customer base! :?
Paul: The narrow neck, particularly when it comes to the Rickenbacker 12 string has been a frustration expressed by members of the RRF for quite some time. I am pleased, as you have noted, that the 660/12 and more recently the 1993 Plus have addressed this issue. The wizard luthiers out there have addressed this issue in their own way by spreading out the string pairs to make more effective use of the narrow fretboard. It is good that newcomers to the 12 string world have more options today than they had in yesteryear. While I am on the subject I would like to hear what others have to say about the 12 string slotted headstock.

steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

admin wrote:While I am on the subject I would like to hear what others have to say about the 12 string slotted headstock.
I think it's a good feature. Looks a bit funny, but only if there's, like, a light shining behind it, to the point where you can see through the headstock. Dealing with the slotted strings is the most grueling part of changing strings on a Ric 12, so anything that makes that easier (and that includes a trapeze tail piece, as well) is a plus for me.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

berth wrote:Maybe some regrets about selling my 4005. But then again, I hardly ever played her and I was able to buy my current favorite (for years now), a Shadow.
Bert the 4005 is a fairly rare Rickenbacker. Can you put your finger on why you did not play it that much?

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The modern/newer slotheats are really, outside of being slightly curved, just like traditional stotheads.
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

So far, I only have had to let one go, a decent jetglo late 73 4001. Sold it to fund the amazing burgundy beauty '71 I got from teeder.

My first bass, a then-new 98 fireglo 4003 has been dangerously close to let go, but luckily I've come to my senses again before it was too late
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

I sold three Limited Edition Rickenbackers, a Townshend, a McGuinn, and a Lennon.
I've also sold two Rose Morris Model 1997 Reissues.

The pickguard and the certificate seemed to be the only differences from regular production
models of the 1998 SP, and the325C64.

I sold the JL for $3.1K, and purchased a mint condition 325C64 for $2,100 - a $800 net gain,
essentially for surrendering the certificate and pickguard. The guitars are identical.

I may have overpaid for the PT @ $4,200 - the fees to sell it (@ $4,400) caused a small loss.
Despite only a small run of 250, they don't seem to be appreciating in value. I had a 1998 SP
for a while (since traded for a 360 C63 6-string Guitar Center Ltd Edition), and it was very close
to the PT, at half the price. I prefer 2 PU models over 3 PU models, anyway.

The McGuinn was the most unique of my limited editions (with the onboard compressor) but,
I didn't gig with it, and was actually hesitant to take a very expensive collectors' guitar out of the house.
NOTE - I went through some major RAS for a few years, and did a 3-for-one trade for the RM;
in the end, it wasn't worth it. I sold it for over $6K (at a loss), and haven't looked back. Oh, well.

Despite the mystique of the F Hole, the Rose Morris model is essentially a 330 - I did well selling
them (a FG and a MG), and I have a great 330 AFG with toasters that more than favorably compares to them.
They were beauties, but I actually prefer double-bound models, and my one 330 is enough.

All this being said, I still have a 6-string and 12-string Carl Wilson(s) and they are among my
absolute favorites among my collection. They're amazingly beautiful, lightweight, and sound great.
Of all of the limited edition models I've owned, they are my keepers.

Good Question, Peter!
wayang

Post by wayang »

I sold my '76 4080/12 JG back in the earl 2000s. It was starting to clash with my hernia.
Attachments
4080_12.jpg
wayang

Post by wayang »

I've since acquired an '84 360/12 JG, so I'll be okay...
8mileshigher

Why Did You Let Your Rickenbacker Go?

Post by 8mileshigher »

Having ordered one and gone through the two-year "wait" to take delivery, I found another Ric model I liked more (650 Atlantis) in that interim two years. As I didn't want to lose my deposit, I kept the original order with the dealer. So when the original one (650 Colorado) finally arrived, I sold it at cost to another Forum member and kept the Atlantis. It was a win-win for everyone.... the other Forum member didn't have to "wait" for two years and I didn't lose money on the deal.

I find the solution to the "versatility" issue is to have lots of different Rickenbackers ... :wink: so there are lots of different necks and pickup combinations to soot whatever occasion or particular tone I'm looking for.
"What we've got is Blind Faith in each other" Steve Winwood, Newsweek July 28 1969

10 4003 FG
06 WB BRG
04 660-12 JG
03 360-12 FG
99 V64 six FG
96 650-A TQ
94 V64-12 JG
81 370-WB JG
73 480 DaphBlue
61 Cons Steel MG
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I have a 2016 4003 Fireglo. Love it!!
I would not want to let it go except:
1. to fund a 4003S in 30.5” shortscale (which will prolly never be made).
2. or trade for a 4003S.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

lumgimfong wrote:I have a 2016 4003 Fireglo. Love it!!
I would not want to let it go except:
1. to fund a 4003S in 30.5” shortscale (which will prolly never be made).
2. or trade for a 4003S.
Michael, 4003 five string, 1993+, new bass pickups, new bass bridge.
Thanks for your comments. Never say never. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wayang wrote:I sold my '76 4080/12 JG back in the earl 2000s. It was starting to clash with my hernia.
Terry great photo. I had a gut feeling why you let that one go at the time. :lol:
Thanks for weighting in!

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”