Best New Addition at RIC

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Best New Addition at RIC

Post by admin »

Please take a few moments and comment on your choice with regard to best new edition (instrument, pickup, bridge and so forth) to the Rickenbacker line.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Re: Best New Addition at RIC

Post by stringsncords »

Not "new", but the 1993 Plus is an amazing guitar.

The wide neck is definitely necessary - I've tried several 12-string models, and the 360 WB and V64 models have the tightest spacing,
and the thinnest necks (although the six-string models are wonderful). Current 330 and 360 models are borderline for me, but my 360/12
has a wider spaced nut than the "stock" nut - courtesy of my dealer, Pick of the Ricks.

The 1993 Plus is an amazing instrument. I'm not big on 3-pickup guitars, but I can work around that for the neck comfort.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

stringsncords wrote:Not "new", but the 1993 Plus is an amazing guitar.

The wide neck is definitely necessary - I've tried several 12-string models, and the 360 WB and V64 models have the tightest spacing,
and the thinnest necks (although the six-string models are wonderful). Current 330 and 360 models are borderline for me, but my 360/12
has a wider spaced nut than the "stock" nut - courtesy of my dealer, Pick of the Ricks.

The 1993 Plus is an amazing instrument. I'm not big on 3-pickup guitars, but I can work around that for the neck comfort.
Bob, I quite agree with your comments regarding the 1993 Plus. The wider neck has been the dream of many Rickenbacker 12 string players and it is nice that it finally came to pass. Certainly new enough for me.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Tubwompus

Post by Tubwompus »

Agreed here about the 1993+.

I wanted a George 12 but more playable, ala the 350v63.
Would have preferred that 660 neck on an old-school 360/12 with slash sound hole and two pickups but once the 1993+ is in one’s hands, concessions are plenty easier to make. Selfishly, I hope they DON’T come out with the 360/12 w/ 660 neck now because if they do, I’ll get a case of the dammits. Haha
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Two things:

1) The 4003AC is a pretty amazing instrument in several regards (green inlays, notwithstanding, to me).

2) All the various customs and one-offs that RIC has been creating these past years.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

- adjustable polepieces
- a standard string gauge with a .46 on the low E
- the 325c64 Miami
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

(Sigh!) When I see the word "addition," I think of something genuinely new instead of just incremental or evolutionary. So I guess the new 5-string bass comes the closest. BUT...
1) Why 1 7/8 inch nut instead of 1 3/4 on the otherwise narrow neck at the body for a 5-string and narrow bridge for a 5-string?
2) Why not align the triangle profile of the pickup covers the same as the traditional 4003 triangle fret board inlays?
3) The whole point of the 4000/1/2/3 headstock is the offset E tuner to get more space for the leader of the E string to prevent string binding, so why not do the same for the 5-string since the B string needs the extra space for the leader even more so?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

iiipopes wrote:(Sigh!) When I see the word "addition," I think of something genuinely new instead of just incremental or evolutionary. So I guess the new 5-string bass comes the closest. BUT...
1) Why 1 7/8 inch nut instead of 1 3/4 on the otherwise narrow neck at the body for a 5-string and narrow bridge for a 5-string?
2) Why not align the triangle profile of the pickup covers the same as the traditional 4003 triangle fret board inlays?
3) The whole point of the 4000/1/2/3 headstock is the offset E tuner to get more space for the leader of the E string to prevent string binding, so why not do the same for the 5-string since the B string needs the extra space for the leader even more so?
Scott, while the guitar revolution may leave some half empty, for me the guitar evolution is half full. It is hard to "turn it up to 11" the first go around. The 5 string is a new deal and refinements over the years may begin to approximate the items on your wish list. The profile of the pickups is brilliant in that it makes good use of the iconic Rickenbacker profile without sacrificing tone. Will they be oriented the same as the triangle inlays over time, perhaps.

In the meantime evolution may set things right
You say you got a real solution well you know we'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution well you know we're doing what we can
Don't you know it's gonna be all right, all right, all right
Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring. I always enjoy reading your posts.

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The 1 7/8" nut on the 5 string bass is perfectly in-line with that of most "good feeling" 5 string basses. My two Martin Keith Elfin 5 basses have 1 7/8", nuts (as do the ZONs) and compared to many other 5 string basses with too narrow a nut, say 1 3/4' and narrower, which feel way too cramped, they are perfect. As to the relatively narrow string spacing at the bridge, that feels good, too, as all three of my ZON 5 string basses have fairly narrow saddle spacing. Maybe, for those weaned on a Fender 4 string bass, or for those who are into slapping, they might want a wider saddle spacing; if that's what you need/prefer, just buy something else. :D
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

admin wrote:Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring. I always enjoy reading your posts.
Thanks for the perspective.
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

Tubwompus wrote:Agreed here about the 1993+.

Would have preferred that 660 neck on an old-school 360/12 with slash sound hole and two pickups but once the 1993+ is in one’s hands, concessions are plenty easier to make. Selfishly, I hope they DON’T come out with the 360/12 w/ 660 neck now because if they do, I’ll get a case of the dammits. Haha

Definitely the 1993Plus is the best new addition to their line. A, 360/12 with the 660 neck would be what I've been waiting for ever since the wider 660 neck arrived, and I would buy one in a heart beat, but I don't think we have to worry about getting the "dammits", or getting our credit cards out because we all know how Rickenbacker is "Too Busy" and "Has Too Big a Backlog" :roll:, so enjoy what you have!! :wink:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pauleway wrote:
Tubwompus wrote:Agreed here about the 1993+.

Definitely the 1993Plus is the best new addition to their line. A, 360/12 with the 660 neck would be what I've been waiting for ever since the wider 660 neck arrived, and I would buy one in a heart beat, but I don't think we have to worry about getting the "dammits", or getting our credit cards out because we all know how Rickenbacker is "Too Busy" and "Has Too Big a Backlog" :roll:, so enjoy what you have!! :wink:
Paul, thanks for your comments. Life can be frustrating and prior to the 1993 Plus others have shared your view on a desire for a wider neck on the 600 series and 300 series. Today were are reaping the benefits of that vision as RIC did hear what customers had to say. I am hopeful that the evolution of their fine instruments will advance. I can only wonder what might have occurred historically if wider necks had been available sooner. :)

steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

I'll second the 1993+. Mine is quite good. I think my dream 12-string stable would be 360-12 and 360-12WB with the wider nut, in, both, 21-fret with toasters, and 24-fret with high gains, making for four Ric 12 strings in my house, two in JetGlo, one in FireGlo, and one in MapleGlo. I guess I'll have to wait ...
collin

Post by collin »

The best new addition at RIC.... has been a CNC machine. :mrgreen:
ChuckEds

Post by ChuckEds »

The 350V63, best re-issue of a model that never existed. Not too big, not too small and everything RIC!

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”