Professional Set Up

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

andyenobs

Professional Set Up

Post by andyenobs »

Hi
I just wondered about how many of you guys on here have never had their guitar set up properly by a fully trained tech. There will be those who do it themselves properly and those that think they can but aren't very good. and of course those who have to get a trained tech to do it.
In the early part of last year I bought a used 660/6 on eBay. It was more or less mint although it was a 2011 model but you could see just on inspection it had never been set up properly. The action was terrible in fact I could not believe how far the strings were away from the fretboard. I paid £1450 for the guitar and a new one in the UK would cost about £2800 that is if you could get one. I took it to a pro tech to be checked over generally and a full set up with new strings which cost me £70 including the cost of the strings. It now feels like silk. The action is just so good. It is just effortless to play.
So the purpose of my story is to say to anyone on here who has not had their Ricky set up put your hand in your pocket and get it done you will be amazed what a difference it will make and that includes new ones that have been set up by the factory. Like all makes of guitars generally factory set ups are renowned to be poor.
andyenobs

Re: Professional Set Up

Post by andyenobs »

Well my post has been on the Forum for a couple of days now and not even one response ! I am amazed that so many Rick owners think their guitars are properly set up. Bearing in mind they have twin truss rods in the neck they are renowned for being that bit more difficult to adjust correctly. Still there you go we are obviously dumber this side of the pond.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Andy there is no substitute for having your guitar set up by someone who is knowledgeable and has the skill set. That said, the process is not that difficult and some owners embrace the challenge as they learn much about their guitars in the process. You have chosen the road that worked for you and with enviable results. Do you have any before or after photos to share? Your comments here are appreciated. The lack of response may be due, in part, to the circumstances the world is facing at this time.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Hi Peter
I do understand what you are saying and I know a lot of your members are older and more experienced but I am still surprised no one commented. I set up my Taylor acoustics but they are easy just a truss rod adjustment. You must talk me through it as my only attempt was many years ago on a Squire Strat. First attempt wasn't bad but my second went totally wrong and then I went to the tech who I am still using today.
While speaking to you Peter I part X'd my 330/6 mg to Sound Affects Music in Ormskirk near Liverpool. Can you get it deleted on my record please or ask a man who can ?
Thanks
Andy
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

andyenobs wrote:While speaking to you Peter I part X'd my 330/6 mg to Sound Affects Music in Ormskirk near Liverpool. Can you get it deleted on my record please or ask a man who can ?
Thanks
Andy
What do you mean by part X'd? Was the guitar sold, or disassembled and parted out? Regardless, I would think the register record would simple note such in the description of the instrument. as there was (still is?) that guitar out there in the world. Even if it had been destroyed, it did exist at one time and is still part of Rickenbacker history.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Andy: Please send me the serial number of the instrument parted out via a Private Message (admin) on the Board.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Peter
I have sent the details on to you
Thanks
Andy
collin

Post by collin »

Peter/Jeff —

Part X’d = Part Exchanged = Traded-in

NOT “parted out”

——————————

As for the OP’s question, setups are often a matter of personal taste and preference so the factory wouldn’t sink more time and cost into setting up instruments that would in many cases be immediately set up again.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Hi Colin
I completely agree with your comments but generally most manufacturers leave the action a little high and I believe more people would find a lower action would enable easier guitar playing with their fretting hand.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

collin wrote:Peter/Jeff —

NOT “parted out”...
Thanks for that X'planation, Collin. 8)
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Over the years, I have realized that my Ricks need regular maintenance from a qualified tech who knows how to work on them. This is very important. Years ago. I took one of mine to a guy named Bill Baker in East Hanover, NJ. Bill had dome some setups on my six string guitars and I was pleased, but he had no clue what do, or how to properly set up a Rick 12. When I got the guitar back, it was unplayable, the intonation was all over the place, it wouldn't stay in tune and notes were fretting out. When I discovered what a terrible job he did, I called and complained and he blamed it on a bad set of strings. He didn't even offer to try and fix it. He just took $60 from me. That's the last time I ever used Bill Baker. I then to the guitar to my friend, David Petillo in Ocean Township, NJ and he got it right. It's been fine ever since, with David's help. I have Dave change the strings and set up up usually once a year. The guitar plays beautifully now.

Make sure you take it the right tech!
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

andyenobs wrote:Hi
I just wondered about how many of you guys on here have never had their guitar set up properly by a fully trained tech.....
I understand what you are saying, and, yes, I might be amazed at how well my guitar plays after a professional set-up.
But there are some factors as to why some do their own set-ups.

1. it isn't that difficult to do. Once you get the right tools, doing your own set-ups is easily done.

2. many guitar guys seem to be car guys. Car guys change their own oil, brakes, filters....all maintenance done on their own. I kind of see that mindset moving over to our own guitars.

3. many of us aren't professional musicians. We can pick up beater guitars that have been sitting in the corner of a room for three years and enjoy them. We really wouldn't know the difference between a professionally set-up guitar and one that wasn't. Heck, I still don't know what intonation is. I'm a rhythm guitar player...my fret hand has never travelled past the third or fourth fret.

Am I shaking in my boots every time I turn my truss rod an eighth of a turn? You bet. But I have been doing my own set-ups since I got my first guitar. Doing one's own set-ups is part of owning a guitar. I never really thought any other way.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

As far as 4 string Rics go:

I've done all my own setups for almost as long as I've owned my Rics, in part because when I got my first 4001 in 1973 there were not many (if any) folks in Scotland who could work on Rickenbackers so, I learned to do anything needing done myself.
I have found that sticking to a constant string gauge has helped greatly over the years as has the use of lighter gauge strings, typically 45-60-80-100, or, 40-55-75-95, I relaise string choice is highly personal as is playing style.

Whether by accident or design I've never had truss rod or neck issues across any of my collection, and, they're been drug over a fair part of the world, including Asia, South Africa and now the Pacific North West.

That said, about 3 years ago I took my 1973 4001 to Mike Lull in Bellevue and Mike did what he does.

Upon return the difference was (IMHO) not that noticeable.
Two thoughts from this,
1: My 73 was in a very good place prior to giving it to Mike, that was my feeling when I gave it to him.
2: Mike did not (we discussed this when I picked it back up) have to do a lot to it , re-affirming my views from the above.

On another occasion, Mike did a fantastic job, he completely rebuilt, re-fretted with Stainless Steel frets and then Pleck'd the neck on my 1973 Fender Jazz, the results in that instance were amazing, it felt and played better than it had since I bought it

My 72 and 73 4001's are both going to need re-fretting in the next year to couple and when that time comes they will both be heading to Larry Davis who will do the work to the same standard or better than the Ric factory.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

collin wrote:Peter/Jeff —

NOT “parted out”
Two great nations divided by a common language
"Winston Churchill"
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Hi all
Well I set up my Taylor acoustics which really means I tighten or loosen the truss rod. I would love to learn how to do a Rick but the twin truss rods worry me a bit. I know from my acoustics you should always start with the guitar in tune and I suppose the next step is altering the string height a small amount at a time until each string is at the required height. Then next is getting the intonation right by moving the saddle to each string to tune so perfect tuning can be attained. Is that right ? Or you go to a tech you know is good and get it set up. I think until I am shown how to do it properly I'll stick with the latter.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”