360/6 in Walnut

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

andyenobs

360/6 in Walnut

Post by andyenobs »

Hi
Well today I committed myself to buying another Rick. In the UK there appears to be quite a shortage of Ricks and of course the dealers have realised this and the prices are creeping up. I am 70 later this year if I survive this virus and I decided I wanted to get a walnut 360/6. After searching on the internet in the UK I could only find three all at inflated prices but eventually I found a new one on Reverb in Italy. I put in a sensible bid knowing I would have to pay VAT when it comes into the country but It did not secure it so I increased my bid by £100 and it was accepted. I have now paid for it and look forward to it arriving. What really surprised me is it was made in 2014 and the dealer tells me it has come straight from the sole importer to him and it is brand new. The time lapse seems ridiculous even if Rickenbacker are slow. I mean 6 years !!! I decided to go for a 360/6 rather than a 330/6 as Tommy said the fret board is bound both sides which makes it feel slinkier and to be fair it does look a bit more interesting because of the binding on the back edge and on the cat's eye. My only problem now is getting round the ball and chain when she finds out. OMG !!!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 360/6 in Walnut

Post by jdogric12 »

COngrats, and good luck with the stealth operations.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Wifey: What's that?

Andy: What's what?

Wifey: That guitar you brought into the house really late last night when you thought I was asleep.

Andy: Oh, that.

Wifey: Yes, that. You already have 52 guitars, 12 mandolins, three banjos, and a mountain dulcimer. You don't need another instrument that you never play.

Andy: A friend bought it and wanted me to check it out for a while.

Wifey: You don't have any friends.

Andy: Um.......................
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Fortunately Jeff I have friends. But I have had to take evasive action in order to complete the stealth operation. I only concluded the deal yesterday and it was collected from Italy today to be delivered to me Monday. Unfortunately the wife doesn't work on Mondays or Wednesdays so I have had to put the delivery back to the Tuesday. Watch this space !

b
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

8)
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Oh, man, pictures, pictures, pictures please when you get it. Don't even play it, just take pictures of it. Those Walnut Rics are amongst the most gorgeous guitars Ric ever produced. Let's see yours.

I want to say this caught my eye in your post:
andyenobs wrote: I am 70 later this year if I survive this virus and I decided I wanted to get a walnut 360/6.
Come on, 70 is the right age for any guitar. I'd rather see a 70 year old get a Ric than a 7 year old. You're going to have a good time with that guitar. The first year will be just taking pictures, but by 2021 you'll be playing it.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Tommy mate I am just going to bed is 11.45pm here and guess what is being delivered tomorrow. Yup the 360/6 in Walnut from Italy. I will tell you all about it tomorrow and will get someone show me how to put on some photos asap together with my 660/12 660/6.
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Congrats, Andy!

Remember, your favorite guitar is your next one!

Pictures please!
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Bob I have got to say you could be right mate. It's even better than it looked on Reverb. I used to have a 330/12 in Walnut but found the neck too narrow for a twelve string. But this 360/6 is so much nicer. The cat's eye and back with the white binding looks great and breaks up the walnut and compliments the pick guard. And what Tommy said about fret board binding is so spot on and I agree with him it is more comfortable on your fretting hand. The dealer put new strings on EVH 10s which I have never had before but I will either put Rick Standards on or Elixer 10s both of which I like but I need to have a good play with it first. One last thing what really attracted me to the guitar was the walnut body colour and grain I just had to have it. So far no import duty and if I don't get stuffed for the 20% VAT we suffer in the UK I will have saved over £1000. The price included Italy's VAT but I don't know whether I am liable for both lots. Either way it looks like a great buy. But of course "her indoors" has not yet discovered it.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

The new 360/6 W was made in 2015 so I thought it might be an idea to re-oil it with tung oil. Well it is 5 years old and I thought it can't do it any harm. I oiled the back first left it for 20 minutes and then wiped off the excess. Then left it for 24 hours before polishing it up to dry in a matt finish. Didn't use the Scotch Guard Extra Fine pad as the grain didn't seem to rise at all. However when I did the front of the guitar I could see a couple of very slight surface scratches so as I have decided to put two coats on i will polish those out with the pad. The whole operation has been very easy to do but it won't be finished until this time tomorrow and not soaked in and properly dry for a couple of days, I'll confirm the result then.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

I nearly forgot the guitar has a maple neck with a satin finish. I assume you don't oil it like the walnut so I have some Taylor Guitars Satin Finish polish and I think that might be right. Anybody got any other ideas ?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

It should be years before you have to do anything. I wouldn't touch it.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Hi Jason
I was only going to put satin polish on to stop it getting grimey from use and to protect it generally.
Do you still think it's a bad idea ?

Andy

660/6 MG
660/12 MG
360/6 W
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

It should only need some tung oil every few years to keep from drying out. I guess it is based on the humidity where you are though. RIC customer service can best tell you.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”