R tailpiece

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

PunchyStrummer

R tailpiece

Post by PunchyStrummer »

Greetings fellow members! The black R-tailpiece on my 330 could do with a proper cleaning and smoothing (of the rough bits), but I have no idea where I'd take it to have it done here down under. Any suggestions are appreciated :D

Also, is it possible for it to be exchanged for a new black one in the event that it gets damaged? I would like to find out what my options are (besides replacing it) since I don't live in the USA...
Rick-en-back-er. It's just so fun to say, let alone play.
collin

Re: R tailpiece

Post by collin »

Can you elaborate on "smoothing of the rough bits" ?

The R tailpieces are either chrome plated, or powdercoated (like yours), meaning that if you felt compelled to further polish any of the unpolished areas, you would need to have the piece powdercoated again.

Powdercoating this piece might even weaken it and potentially invite tension cracks in the near future, as it involves baking the part in an oven.

You cannot buy a replacement black R-tailpiece, to my knowledge. You'd have to either find an old one (unlikely) or have a chrome one powdercoated black, risking the issues I just mentioned.

My only advice "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
PunchyStrummer

Post by PunchyStrummer »

Ah, I see. I guess it should be fine if I just wiped it with a cloth...

The "smoothing of rough bits", I meant that there were some sharpish bits underneath (probably from wear) that I wanted to get filed down, but I was anxious about doing it myself and then accidentally slipping with a file :shock:

Thanks for the advice though, Collin.
Rick-en-back-er. It's just so fun to say, let alone play.
collin

Post by collin »

Ah well if it’s underneath you might be fine, but I’d only file any burrs in the strings groove that could lead to potential string breaking. The metal would show through the powder coating but it would be visible when the tailpiece is mounted.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”