1966 Liverpool Music store Purchase

History and music of Liverpool
munronichols

1966 Liverpool Music store Purchase

Post by munronichols »

I was in the British Merchant Navy in 1966 and bought a UK (Rose Morris Spec) 360WB/12 from the main Liverpool town music shop. For my own interest can anyone tell me what the store would have been ? I can remember to this day it cost me UK pounds 212..(No case !!). I was an apprentice ,earning UK 8 pounds a week !! work that one out !!
Currently I have 7 Rics..
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Welcome to the forum Thomas.

I have no idea what the answer is to your question myself, hopefully someone on the forum may be able to help you.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
wayang

Post by wayang »

I'm coming up with about six months, Thomas...impressive.

I bought my first 4001 in '74 for $450...I was making 'minimum wage': $2.10/hour. A little better odds than you were up against, but as I wasn't living aboard ship, it took me about six months, too.

Worth the wait, though, eh?
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thomas, that would be Rushworth's Music Store, Whitechapel. Please tell us all about the purchase!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

Hello Thomas, that sounds like a 1993. Do you still have it? Or a pic?...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey Thomas. Please come back, as we want the details.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

Hessy's was another important Liverpool music store.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree that Hessy's was important Glenn, but Thomas spoke of the main music store and in that respect I would think that Rushworth's had a somewhat higher profile at the time.

There were, of course, famous moments at each of these stores, my favourite being Hessy's and the installation of Lennon's Bigsby.

randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Peter: Rather than install the Bigsby on the countertop with an icepick and a screwdriver (according to legend), John should have packed-up his '58 and shipped it off to The Curmudgeon. Ooops, I guess he was probably still in junior high at the time. Never mind...
munronichols

Post by munronichols »

Sorry I haven't been on the site for ages. I thought life was supposed to get easier as you got older... Thanks for the input. No I don't have it anymore.. I sold it in 1972 in Brisbane Australia.. It had signs of a minor crack in the neck just behind the nut. The neck was very very slimline and I wondered if that was common.
munronichols

Re: 1966 Liverpool Music store Purchase

Post by munronichols »

10 years late in carrying on the thread... The guy who said the store in Liverpool was Hessy's is right... that name rings a bell.
The neck on that vintage 66/67 ( I never recorded the Serial number ..You just didn't back then !) was a LOT slimmer than the 2 x 12's I have now .... Dare I say I don't like them ?
collin

Re: 1966 Liverpool Music store Purchase

Post by collin »

munronichols wrote:10 years late in carrying on the thread... The guy who said the store in Liverpool was Hessy's is right... that name rings a bell.
The neck on that vintage 66/67 ( I never recorded the Serial number ..You just didn't back then !) was a LOT slimmer than the 2 x 12's I have now .... Dare I say I don't like them ?

Hi Thomas, the official (retailer) name for your guitar was the Rose Morris "1993" which was known as a 330S/12 at the Rickenbacker factory. See more info here: www.rickbeat.com/export1993/1993inventory.htm

I believe Hessy's was the only retailer in Liverpool that stocked instruments from Rose Morris - or it's the only one I've heard of. Also, the guitar would have been a 1964 or 1965 model - they ceased production of the model in late 1965.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”