Other music shops

History and music of Liverpool
espidog

Other music shops

Post by espidog »

Both Hessy's and Rushworths have had plentiful mention in this section of the forum, but for those of us who lived over the river on the Wirral, there was another music shop worthy of mention: Strothers, in Liscard, Wallasey. They sold the lot: instruments, sheet music and records. It was there that my elder brother Steve (who I suspect very dearly wanted to be George Harrison) bought his first electric guitar. The make escapes me, but it was a lovely, slim Gibson-esqe hollow-bodied creature with f-holes.

Strothers was also where I bought my very first pop record with my own money: the Rolling Stones' "Aftermath". Not bad taste for an eight year-old,eh? :wink:

There aren't many mentions of Strothers to be found on the web, but I did come across this:
http://triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/a-z/bl ... hts2.shtml
Nice to see it was a Rickenbacker he bought!
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
admin
Site Admin

Re: Other music shops

Post by admin »

Ken: Thanks for this nice music shop posting. Are you able to seach your scrapbook for a couple of photos of the day? It would be great to see any that you might have regarding the shop or surrounding area.

By the way, from the BBC Four Folk Britannia
I was an adolescent member of the Front Parlour Folk Club in Prenton, Birkenhead in 1966-67. At that time anyone who could get up and perform live was memorable to me! Our local folk band was the Spinners, and they were in Strothers music shop when I went to buy my first decent acoustic guitar. I asked a couple of them for advice and was pointed to a Framus, which I bought and still have. My most memorable gigs in recent years have been by Martin Carthy - he is always stunning and very generous in his willingness to talk to audience members between sets.
Martin Craig, Newcastle, England
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
espidog

Post by espidog »

admin wrote:Ken: Thanks for this nice music shop posting. Are you able to seach your scrapbook for a couple of photos of the day? It would be great to see any that you might have regarding the shop or surrounding area.
Alas, I know there are definitely no pics in my scrapbook. I don't recall any of us ever taking any photos in or around the shop. I'll put the word out via my brother, though. He still lives on the Wirral and may still be in touch with people from yon ancient days!

By the way, if anyone's interested in Liverpool and the Wirral, you might like to see the views of the coastline from the many cameras on my brother's live webcam site:
http://www.wirralcam.org
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
timmy

Post by timmy »

hi there,i got my first bass, a Grant 4001 copy from Hessys in 1981 for £120....swapped it for a turntable many years ago......cheers LA....
I STARTED OUT WITH NOTHING....AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT....
JimN

Post by JimN »

Hi,

I have posted some details of "other" Liverpool music stores of the sixties in the thread topic titled "Hessy's Music Store Again".

Best wishes,

JimN

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”