Who Were The Inn Crowd?

History and music of Liverpool
admin
Site Admin

Who Were The Inn Crowd?

Post by admin »

The Liverpool Project received the following request with regard to a Liverpool group from the
1960s. We have done our very best to track down information. Should any of our regular readers or
posters have any additional information to offer we, along with the person posing the initial
question, would be grateful to receive it.
"My wife's granddad's brother was in a black band from Liverpool called the Inn Crowd, but we cannot
find any information on them on the internet and he wants to find any information on them that he
can, as his brother passed on many years ago. All that I can tell you was they were the 1st black
band to be signed by EMI and that there were 4 members in the group. They were Walter Quarless,
Tony, Little Wally and I think the other member was George. There is a poster up in the Liverpool
Museums' music display at the moment, but any other information you could provide would be greatly
appreciated."
It was difficult to find extensive information however here are the notes that we have been able to
compile at present based on some digging by Mr. Geoff Hogarth. We offer the following hodgepodge of
comments that we believe to be close to the truth. Should we be in error or failed to cite the
original author we invite you correction and hope you will be patient with us. As always, trying to
research the 50s and 60s is a difficult task. We will do our best to comment on the personalities
that you have mentioned in your brief description of the group.

Mr. George Dixen, a Liverpool musician, was perhaps best known as a member of one of the best
harmony groups to come out of the famous shipping hub, The Inn Crowd. As the story goes,George was
released from the army in 1958. Shortly thereafter, he started playing guitar with friends Wally

Quarless and Norman Frazer. Perfectionists they would practice a song Whether owing to military
discipline or a family compulsive trait George was a perfectionist who, along with his band mates,
would "practice a song for weeks on end until it was exactly right."

As luck would have it the group would eventually obtain a booking in the White House where they
performed their first gig. This venue, as you might have guessed was not in Washington, D.C but a
public house in Duke Street. Commensurate with the wages of the day, it is reputed that they
received the tidy sum of £4 for their talents. Before long they apparently became quite popular with
the patrons of this pub such that they were regular performers at the Club from playing Friday to
Monday.

As happens with most communities, after a while word spread of the Inn Crowd and many other groups
stopped by to watch them play on Monday nights. Folklore has it that, in particular, two lads always
dressed in black from a new group called the Beatles were often in attendance.

The Inn Crowd continued to play at the White House for a further five years before Norman Frazier
was the first to leave. About the same time George Dixen, then taking saxophone lessons, convinced
Gerry Stewart to join the band. Gerry Stewart was known to the music community having been a regular
with a Blues' group at The Blue Angel. Shortly after the group would welcome Gerry's brother-in-law
Dave Stead.

A new group was then formed with Tony Fayle as lead singer and with the introduction of John Carney
George Dixon and Wally Quarless formed the 'In Crowd.' Notice the change in spelling to accompanying
the new group. The group took on the residency at the Masonic Pub in Berry Street Liverpool for a
couple of years. John Carney left was replaced by Tony Adams a young singer who was only sixteen with an outstanding voice. The group would turn professional and toured Europe for a time. It is believed that he group played together until 1976.

In the meantime, George Dixen had the group in 1971 about eighteen months before he joined a new group called 'Just Us.' Just Us was comprised of George Dixen, Willie Wenton, Ken Ross, Dave Stead and Eric Hanson and apparently stayed together for five years.

At the time of this posting we are seeking the knowledge of Joey Ankerah who we hope will fill in
the blanks for us. Of course, we would dearly love to have additional information to add to the
story including recordings and photos were possible. Your patience is appreciated and your critiques of this history welcomed. We want it to be right.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Re: Who Were The Inn Crowd?

Post by admin »

It seems that we may be able to obtain a photo of Wally Quarless to add to our story. The magic of the on line forum continues.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
brammy

Post by brammy »

Apparently "In" was spelled with one "n".... here's something........
http://artydrummer.bravehost.com/incrowd.html
The in Crowd
* Wally Quarless Lead guitar
* Tony Lawrence bass guitar
* Tony Adams Drums
* Steve Aldo Vocal
* George Dixon bass guitar
* Norman Chapman drums ex Silver Beatles

Interesting that Norman Chapman was part of it.

There is a mention of Wally Quarless on site
http://www.geocities.com/soulpooluk/blackmusic.htm

But I suppose you already knew that stuff.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kent: I have seen both spellings and I am familiar with much of your recent information. However, I am grateful for it and obtaining information from multiple sources is often helpful in broadening our horizons. Thanks for sending this along.

brammy

Post by brammy »

Thanks Peter..... the search for the elusive Quarless goes on.

Was Wally Quarless in The Chants?
Here's a picture ot The Chants at The Cavern... dont know if Wally is among those shown here.
http://nanker.podomatic.com/
The Chants
The Chants
Also, on here http://www.sixtiescity.com/Mbeat/mb1A.htm I see mention of
The Walter Quarless Combo
Trisha mac

Post by Trisha mac »

Hi my aunty was married to walter quarless here is a picture of him.
Attachments
walter quarless.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Trisha: A wonderful first post. Thanks for this great photo and welcome to the RickResource Forum. I do hope that you will be able to add some additional historical information over the course of time.

wayang

Post by wayang »

Wow, this is fascinating and cool! Thanks for the diligent work and for sharing it with us, Peter. So they were signed to EMI? Wouldn't you love to get your hands on that vinyl...

And welcome to the Forum, Trisha...I don't think anyone's made as big a splash with their first post.
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
Trisha mac

Post by Trisha mac »

Hi again i will be seeing my aunty next sat at a family party so if the is anythink you would like me to ask her about wally let me know xx
Trisha mac

Post by Trisha mac »

Another pic of walter quarless.
Attachments
n1412012481_30045764_4762.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Trisha: I would love to know if your aunty recalls the venues where they played and also if she remembers any of the songs that they performed.

Also the dates that he played in the band would also be of interest if that is not too long ago to remember. Does she remember the make of guitar Wally played?

clarkie

Post by clarkie »

I just tried to post , again I"ve been thrown off the site, AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. I'll have my "Cuz" Allan Gaskell (who was in The Inn Crowd) fill ya" in. This is too much for moi ! Clarkie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Peter, I admire your persistence and apologize for your hard work not being posted. Please note my comments regarding the concerns you expressed in trying to post under the Iron Door Club forum as well. Perhaps just brief posts are best through your service provider as those seem to have made it here. Also, writting the text and saving it on your computer first might afford you a back up in case your connection is dropped. You might also tick the box that allows you to be kept signed in when you log in as that may help in your situation.

natalie

Post by natalie »

My dad, George Dixon,who thank god is still alive and kicking (just) an was the originall founder of the famous IN CROWD. Wally Quarless guitar was a fender straat, Wally wanted to call the band ' THE TACKARADDY ALL STARS' thankfully my dad got his own way and so the were called the IN CROWD.Early days they played in the bedford social club and the Masonic Hotel in Berry Street 1959 to 1962/63
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Natalie: This is excellent information. Your post is most appreciated. We would welcome any messages from George Dixon that you might be able to pass along on his behalf. Please give our very best to George.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”