Who Were The Inn Crowd?

History and music of Liverpool
Stella

Re: Who Were The Inn Crowd?

Post by Stella »

My name is Tony Adams and at the end of 1967 I was singing and playing drums with a semi-pro band called the Four Winds. We were playing at a talent contest at the
Lido in Liverpool ( which later became the Wooky Hollow ). After we had done our performance this very tall black guy wearing dark sunglasses came over to me and said that his band's drummer had not turned up, and would I mind playing drums for them. Feeling a bit apprehensive I said yes, and as a result their spot went very well. Ten minutes later this guy introduced himself as Wally Quarless and he asked me if I would like to join their band, which was called The Incrowd. Obviously I jumped at the chance because I loved the type of music they were playing. As you can see from the attached photo the band consisted of Wally Quarless on guitar and vocals, George Dixon on vocals and bass guitar, Tony Fayal on vocals and myself ( known as Little Tony ) on vocals and drums. We turned professional in early 1968, and sadly George and Tony left the band. We were then joined by Steve Aldo on vocals and Tony Lawrence on vocals and bass guitar. The band did a lot of touring and we all had an absolutely fantastic time. In early 1969 we did some records with the Deram label ( which was part of EMI ). The first release was a song called "Where in the World" in October 1969 and you can listen to it on YouTube even today. By the way I am singing lead vocals on this track, and Steve is singing " I Can Make Love To You " on the B side. Wally became a very good friend of mine, in fact he was like a father figure, as well as a brilliant musician. Unfortunately I left the band for very private reasons in 1971, and it was a very sad time for me. In 1980 I was fronting a band in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, called Night Life, when who should walk into the club but Wally with a friend of his. I was over the moon to see him. Alas , his friend told me that Wally was ill with incurable cancer. Still I made arrangements for Wally to come and see me and have a meal at my house four weeks later over the Christmas Holiday. That really made my day. Unfortunately two weeks later I was to learn that he had died suddenly. Wasn't it strange though, that he should come into my life to say goodbye after all those years. I still pray for him. I hope that this information will be of help to you. God Bless.........Tony Adams.
Attachments
incrowd.jpg
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Thanks for the update Little Tony. Better belated than never but certainly fills in some blank spaces.

Had a problem chasing down the mentioned "Where In The World" on YouTube because of the various ways the name IN CROWD can be spelt. Fortunately, I noticed on the above attached group photo the name was spelt "THE INCROWD"

I see "Where In The World" was written by Tony Hiller and Peter Simmons, who for a while were the song writing force behind the popular Brotherhood of Man, penning their first UK hit single "United We Stand". I can detect shades of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.
Stella

Post by Stella »

Hi again this is Tony Adams with a post script to my last input in December.
The Liverpool Echo on Merseyside is currently publishing photos of Liverpool bands who created
the Mersey sound of the sixties. On the 3rd of February ( this month ) they featured a photo of The Incrowd which
was first printed in the paper in February 1969 ( 46 years ago ).
In this picture you can see Tony Lawrence on the left, Wally Quarless on the right, and Steve Aldo above
me in the centre. As I mentioned earlier these are the musicians who were in the band that made the
records that were released in October 1969.
I do hope someone is still visiting this website as they may find this interesting.

Good luck and best wishes, Tony Adams.
Attachments
Incrowd 1969.jpg
Sully56

Post by Sully56 »

Remember Tony Adams man oh man could this guy sing
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tony, thanks so very much for this update. This is most interesting. I would like to encourage you to add a few memories of the day as they come to mind and as you have the time. A great photo and thanks for helping those of us who were not there put a name to the faces. Full marks!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”