INCROWD

History and music of Liverpool
SAXAPPEAL

INCROWD

Post by SAXAPPEAL »

Every body keeps talking about the 'INCROWD' as if where all up there with John,& George. And banging on as if we were in the olden days - it was only a mere 50years back. At that time we were problay the most sophisticated group around specializing in Motown, Bossa Nova and some Great American Songbook favorites. At that time most groups were still wearing oven gloves strummin' away in 12 bar la la land like, 'wot chord is dat?
Anyways Georgie Dixon is still tickin' over and doing the odd gig in the 'Pool'. I'm in Toronto blowin' the oven glovers away. Ta Ra well, Gerry Stewart
admin
Site Admin

Re: INCROWD

Post by admin »

Gerry I am thrilled you are here and hope you take the time to fill in the missing gaps and answer some questions about the "early" days. Do you have some stories about a couple of Liverpool venues? The Iron Door Club perhaps? We would love to have you share a photo or two as well.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
SAXAPPEAL

Post by SAXAPPEAL »

See, 'A Gigs A Gig.' at the foot of www.saxappeal.com.
Gerry Stewart
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Having read Gerry Stewart’s varied and entertaining bio “A Gig’s A Gig”, the section that struck a particular cord with me went as follows:
“Somehow I ended up at the amphitheatre in Rhyl, North Wales (if you haven’t been, go - its lovely) accompanying clapped out variety performers and developing a stutter after being pressed-ganged into acting in madcap sketches. Scoring for the Show Business X1 with Tommy Steel and the Dallas Boys. (Lawrence Oliver had this dying music-hall scene off to a tee in The Entertainer).”
The original “Amphitheatre” on Rhyl’s West Promenade was an all wooden structure that was knocked down and rebuilt in 1921 and re-named the Coliseum Theatre – but it was always referred to locally as the “Amphitheatre”. The main auditorium remained open to the elements until covered over in the early 1970s. And, like the town of Rhyl itself, gradually fell into disrepair. And, as Gerry Stewart says it was stage for third-rate vaudevillians and concert party performers. I remember many of the acts there were always looking to get audiences involved in proceedings with some over-the-top antics.

As one can see from the inserted map below the seaside town of Rhyl is situated on the North Wales coast and is about a 90-minute drive by car from Liverpool. As a once popular tourist attraction, the town drew its target audience from the within-easy-travelling-distance English cities of Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool.
RHYL.JPG
“If you haven’t been, go – it’s lovely” – while that may have been the case in late 1950s early 1960s, the Rhyl of today is a dump and an eyesore. With the introduction of cheap foreign package holidays into the UK from the end of the 1960s Rhyl went into serial decline and, as a result. the town has never recovered as a British tourist destination. Indeed, Rhyl has the unenviable distinction today of being the welfare benefit capital of Wales according to this recent Wales online article

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”