Rickenbacker Registration Page

Register, Price List, Gallery, RIC Outlet One Offs

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

I'm not aware of any misuse to date either.

However:
I recall that some folks were swapping SN's of the 75th anniversary's and it was mentioned that that was a bad idea, I think by JH?

I'm certain that we'll see the fraud that impacts vintage Fenders & Gibsons cross over to Rickenbackers sooner or later. It seems inevitable...

Maybe there's a way to mask SNs on the registration page of the future, but still allow the model/color/year info to be analyzed?

I'd really like to see all of the Rickenbackers plotted on one of those google maps - with the tacks on the states!
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

How can serial numbers be used to commit fraud?

I've never seen a Rickenfaker post, where the serial number is the clue to authenticity, because JH is the only person who has access to the original production records, and he has more important things to do.

Without serial numbers, the database loses a hell of lot of its value, and I'm still not sure how the inclusion of them can be used for 'evil'. As far as I can see, using a real serial number from a database is no more effective than fabricating a serial number for any fake guitar. If anything, a detailed database makes it harder to fake because all the guitar's stats have to match.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

I can think of several occasions where a guitar/bass has been on eBay, with the serial number listed and that was used to validate it. The most recent example that I recall was the 360/12 with the banjo tuners (I don't recall if the SN was listed, but it was used to validate it).

Here's some 'evil' uses for SNs:
- Take a FG 1997SPC, swap some parts, reproduce a guard, and restamp a SN and you have a Townshend limited edition.
- Take a JG/FG 660/12 and with the right SN you have a 660/12TP
- Take a 4004, get the right person to carve and bind it, and you have a LK
- Take the SN from RM's bantar, but it on a FG bantar, and you've got RM's old bantar!
- get someone to refinish a 4003 in DCM and with the right SN you have a $4000 bass...
- etc.
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

Here's the original comments about SNs from JH:
../5/152085.html"#FFEECC">
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

"...get someone to refinish a 4003 in DCM and with the right SN you have a $4000 bass..."

Provided you can also make the guards and TRC close enough to fool...then there's that pickguard color, too.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

Good point John. I wasn't actually expecting such a convincing argument!

I can now see that Limited Editions should not have their serial numbers revealed, however, I don't think the same logic applies to regular models, where a fake number makes no difference if it can't, or more accurately won't, be cross referenced by JH. Thoughts?
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

I don't think its just of value for the limited editions.

Follow this link and look at the photo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Rogers

If that had a SN from a '60 MG 360F it would be hard(er) to tell that it wasn't one...
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

From a positive perspective, a "public" registration database including S/Ns could help if the instrument is stolen or lost.

...Dean
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

I'm not sure how different a 360F Fakenbacker is with a fake serial compared to a Fakenbacker with a genuine one. Who could tell the difference apart from JH, perhaps, and he generally doesn't have the time to look these things up?

If a fake builder was trying to pass off a guitar to a forumite, then he obviously couldn't use a number from the database, in case the forum could trace the whereabouts of the genuine article. The builder would therefore have to resort to a fake number. With JH on such a case, this could in fact make it easier to determine authenticity, and without JH, it wouldn't matter whether the number was real or fake anyway.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Hmmm...no link to Crockenbacker Guitars.
gray

Post by gray »

Here's a question: I'd like to register my basses, because I think it's a good idea. However, I can't seem to use the form on the site because my email is webmail, I don't get it on the computer. Am I missing something?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Robert: You can fill out the form and then copy and paste that information into your webmail text window.

Then title it Rickenbacker Registration address it to registry@rickresource.com
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

My only question is that if we sell one, will the database refect that we no longer own it?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes Sean, once we get this organized, we will ask that the new owner provide a general location and the data will be amended accordingly.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

Muchas gracias.

Return to “Rickenbacker Register”