Where to buy Ric bass string outside the US

Register, Price List, Gallery, RIC Outlet One Offs

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

topshed34a

Where to buy Ric bass string outside the US

Post by topshed34a »

Hello Blokes
I live in Sydney, and bought my first Ric 4003 in Mapleglo in April 08, it was imported from the US.
Now Ric don't allow dealers to sell overseas so how Im I supposed to buy Ric strings.
Lets face it the reason I bought the Ric is because they are simply sensational basses.
I can understand not allowing sales to a coutnry that has a Ric importer but his is not the case with Aus.
If you want a Ric here you buy second hand or as I had to do off ebay.
Steve
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Re: Where to buy Ric bass string outside the US

Post by gibsonlp »

Welcome Steve!

I totally agree with you, I live in Israel and we are on the same boat, no dealership anymore so second hand and ebay is our only option.
However - as far as I know, for a while now - there is no restriction on accessories and spare parts, so you should be able to purchase such items from any RIC dealer in the states.

And as for the strings themselves, I am pretty sure most people here don't use Rickenbacker strings for their bass anyway.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Welcome to the forum Steve. We have a very strong Aussie contingent here and there's a whole load of bass players here as well that can help you locate the right strings for your playing style.

Brian
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Welcome fellow New South Walesian!
Don't panic about strings too much. You will find the 4003 quite flexable to different string brands and types..
What type of string do you normally prefer?

Eden.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Welcome, Steve!

For a while RIC permitted US dealers to sell spare parts and accessories internationally but I understand that some abused the privilege by ordering heaps of items that by their sheer volume couldn't be considered 'spare parts' - in particular pickups. As as consequence RIC changed that policy.

If you need assistance in sourcing RIC strings there are a number of us here in Australia who can help...... you only have to ask. :D
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
topshed34a

Post by topshed34a »

weemac wrote:Welcome fellow New South Walesian!
Don't panic about strings too much. You will find the 4003 quite flexable to different string brands and types..
What type of string do you normally prefer?

Eden.
Greeting sEden,
Well s strings are such and interesting subject, obviously the Ric has Ric strings because its new, and I get "That Ric sound", I play through an Ashdown Mag 300 head and a Mag 4 10 bass cab.
I have two other Basses a Fender American Deluxe J Bass with Rotosound swing bass and I bought in June last year a Squire Fretless J Bass and I changed the stings to Di Addario Flatwounds ( beautiful sound).
I don't mind the rotosounds at all, I do worry that if I change to another brand I will end up having do a set up because Ric strings are not exactly standard gauge. I think the A and D sting are different.
Regards
Steve from Sydney
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

You would be correct in thinking that rotos are going to sound different to the rick strings.
I've played basses fitted with rick strings and for me found that I like the rotosounds more.
You will find lots of different opinions about strings on this forum (and thay are all valid!) but If you like rotos I think you will find tham a good match for a 4003.
Eden.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

topshed34a wrote:I don't mind the rotosounds at all, I do worry that if I change to another brand I will end up having do a set up because Ric strings are not exactly standard gauge. I think the A and D sting are different.
Regards
Steve from Sydney
Welcome, Steven! :D

Don't worry about that, you really should learn how to do your own setups, it is not hard to do as you are really just turning screws to get the action and intonation to your liking. There are a lot of resources here for you to learn from.

Return to “Rickenbacker Register”