Finding the exact DAY?

Register, Price List, Gallery, RIC Outlet One Offs

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

DBR

Finding the exact DAY?

Post by DBR »

Hello Folks,
Is there any way to find the exact DAY of the month a Ric is born?
Thanks in advance. :?: :wink:
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Re: Finding the exact DAY?

Post by Bighouse »

I've been told NO.
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

The month is as close as you can get for older serial numbers, the week for newer ones.
Ka is a wheel.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

beatlefreak wrote:The month is as close as you can get for older serial numbers, the week for newer ones.
+1
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

I'm not sure how you'd define the day it was 'born' anyway. When they started making it?. When the jackplate was put on? When it shipped from the factory?
Ka is a wheel.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Hey, good point! Since it takes many days to complete an instrument, the idea of an exact day of manufacture doesn't really make much sense. Nailing it down to a particular week is probably about as good as you can get...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
DBR

Post by DBR »

Thanks for the responses, Folks. Much obliged & it all makes sense. 8)
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

As far serials and the like go, it's important to note that nothing's precise. I recieved my mid 1990's 340, with a serial number that corresponded to the following month. I had a guitar from the future...
I'm sure this is fairly normal because they don't stamp the jackplate the same day it goes on a guitar, and they're hardly likely to hold a guitar back just to ensure it leaves the factory after the serial number says it can!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

There is a way.

Go work there.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

bails wrote:I'm sure this is fairly normal because they don't stamp the jackplate the same day it goes on a guitar, and they're hardly likely to hold a guitar back just to ensure it leaves the factory after the serial number says it can!
My 330DCM has a jackplate that says the guitar was manufactured the last week of September/the first week of October in 2006, but my dealer didn't get the instrument until December 15th.
Ka is a wheel.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I had one of the rare early DCM's too, a 360 from week 39 of 2006. I think it arrived in November. Makes sense - time for the paint to cure enough to handle and ship.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Mine also is from week 39. The dealer received it Decembar 15th, and when I got to the store, they brought it out from the back still sealed in the shipping box. When I opened the case, the smell of the finish was overpowering. I believe that had there been an open flame in the area, the guitar would have caught fire.
Ka is a wheel.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Interesting. You know, when I opened up the case for the first time, I expected to smell something like ...oh...i don't know...lavender, or vanilla, or maybe rose. My guitar just smelled like new wood. And it still does two and a half months later. I don't mind, not at all. I'm a little surprised, is all.

JimK
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jim: What you smell is elixir of the gods.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Oh....so that's why my memory is a little fuzzy about those summer jobs I had working in my Uncle's lumber mill in Oregon so many years ago. Too much elixir of the gods, I guess. :lol:
JimK

Return to “Rickenbacker Register”