Round Wound, Flat Wound or Both

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Round Wound, Flat Wound or Both

Post by admin »

While we are considering all of the factors present in the Shadows' sound, what strings did Hank typically use and has he changed the make or type over the years. I understand that he used heavy gauge strings in the early years, but were they round wounds, flats or both?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

I do not know which brand of strings he may have used early on... but I think they must've been "flats" of some kind. Wasn't it during the mid-60s when the round wounds first became commercially available?
Member #03
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

There has been some debate regarding this and some people has been trying to achieve "That Sound" by using flatwounds, but in my and others opinion they have failed. The early sounds definitely indicates roundwound as does some footage. Besides, I'm reasonably sure that Stratocasters were delivered with roundwounds at a very early stage. The gauge were probably quite heavy, at least at the very beginning.
Goran
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

It was only in the mid-60s that round-wound *bass* strings became available(I believe John Entwistle claimed credit for talking Rotosound into making them). As far as I know, round-wound guitar strings have been available since steel strings first appeared (not at all sure when that was! 1920s?)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goran: Your comments are much appreciated. There is little doubt but that Stratocasters came stock with round wound strings. It would be an interesting question to ask The Shadows. In the balance, it certainly sounds that Hank's tone is more in keeping with the greater sustain of the round wound strings.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Quite so, Nick!

Just imagine an acoustic steel-string with flatwounds........

And they have been around for quite some time....
Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goran: I suppose, given Hank's frequent usage of effects over the years, that it is reasonable to assume that he would have tried flat wound strings at one time or another.

goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Yes, Peter, I'm sure he has, if for nothing else the possible shortage of wound strings in the British music shops at the time. I'm equally sure that they didn't stay on very long - flatwounds are so far away from the Shadows sustained and twangy sound as you can get. Flatwounds also does not at all give that slapping sound with low action as is predominant in many of the oldies.

Once I tried a set of gold plated flatwounds (Fender, I think) on my Jaguar (They looked great) - I had to get rid of them in mid-gig, useless for anything but jazz sounds from an arch-top.
Goran

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”