Charlie Hall and "Echoes From The Past"

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Charlie Hall and "Echoes From The Past"

Post by admin »

I would like to know more about Charlie Hall who I understand was instrumental in developing the Echoes From The Past (EPTP) patches that many, including Hank Marvin, are using to re-create "that sound."

I recall seeing a website for Charlie, however, as I do a search today I am unable to locate his site which seems to be offline.

I would appreciate any history you might have with regard to Charlie's work.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

The company E.F.T.P. has ceased to be, but Charlie has continued by himself, using his vast knowledge of the workings of tape and drum echo machines, to use the research which was carried out to program several new units after the Alesis Q2/20. The old website is down but Charlie can be contacted on his email charlie.hall@ntworld.com.

He sells programs for the Magic Stomp and the Zoom G3 and possibly other devices.
Goran
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

In the UK there is a widespread and sometimes exaggerated respect for Charlie Halls abilities compared to other echo-programmers. For instance for my Magic Stomp I ordered (actually was given about a year ago without cost for marketing reasons) the programmes created by Geoff Strachan (Shadowsland, "Sounds Like The Shadows") and just a couple of months ago I ordered the programs from Charlie which I at the moment have installed. I find Charlies programs slightly better but not to the extent that an audience will notice. Just a couple of weeks ago the house God of The Shadow Music forum, Dave Robinson, has discovered the Magic Stomp and posted a few recordings (very good ones at that, but not what they are cracked up to be.....) and suddenly everybody shouts Hail for the Magic Stomp....... (which I have quietly been using fore over a year with Strachans almost as good programming). There are also excellent patches available for free for the Magic Stomp and other devices at http://www.echotapper.nl
Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goran: I am interested in knowing how the J Patches at Echotapper compare to those of Charlie Hall and Geoff Strachan. I have emailed Charlie but he has yet to respond.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

First, to avoid misunderstanding, my phrasing in my last post regarding Dave Robinson, let me emphasize that my remark was not directed at "Robbo", who I respect highly, but rather at those who think that everything he does is THE best regardless, and more or less sneered at the Magic Stomp earlier. That is not his fault. Also the EFTP patches for the MS are very good, but Strachan's patches are equally good for the average listener (and player) so the Magic Stomp really should have been recognized as a very good device far earlier when only Shadowsland marketed them with Geoff's programs!

Anyhow Peter: The Jpatches are not so much exactly programmed for specific songs as for mimicking the typical settings of a number of vintage machines.
I'd say they are very good, but you will have to find out for yourself which patches you prefer for specific songs. I'd say that Charlies patches are the best but Geoff's are very close and I guess it's really a matter of taste whose patch you prefer for a given number.
Goran
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Peter: sorry, Charlie's email is charliehall@ntworld.com (no dot in the name)
Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very interesting Goran. There was no bounce back. Thanks for the correction.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goran: I have just learned that Charlie's correct email address is charliehall@ntlworld.com

goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Sorry, typo!
Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goran: Just a wrong note, something we have all hit before. Image

kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Re: Charlie Hall and "Echoes From The Past"

Post by kenposurf »

Question for Goran...I emailed Charlie Hall a few days ago...want to get his EFTP patches for my newly found Yamaha Magic Stomp (thanks for the tip Peter)....does he usually take awhile to get back about that..yep I'm anxious to try...Thanks!!
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Hi George

No. he usually responds to email very fast, but I know he's had some connection problems lately

Goran
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Many thanks Goran..sent another email..looking forward to giving the patches a go!
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

With the help of my son the EFTP patches are up and running in my Magicstomp. Some wonderful sounds...thank you Peter for the advice and kudos for Charlie Hall! Next I will link in the outboard reverb unit and see what results :twisted:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

George: These patches capture many tape echo sounds very well and offer the convenience of digital technology. While they are not perfect, they sure beat carrying several hundred pounds of analog equipment that would be needed to accomplish the same thing.

Using the Fender Reverb Unit requires less reverb (perhaps a novel concept for you :) ) but it does accentuate the patches in some situations and diminish them in others. I would be very interested in you final appraisal.

Perhaps one additional point. Some of the patches are marvellous in the studio but loose their effectiveness under live performance conditions when the rest of the band adds their "magic."

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”