Bass Players Playing Shadows' Music

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Bass Players Playing Shadows' Music

Post by admin »

I have heard from many guitarists who perform Shadows' music but there seems to be less enthusiasm for bass parts.

I am sure that in some circles this is not the case and I would like to hear what you have to say about the bass lines in the Shadows' music.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

To my mind there has been several types of bass playing during their successful years (probably due to that not one single bass player has managed to establish himself as The Bassman of the Shadows). So the type of bassline playing has been quite different, beginning however with Jet Harris who quite early could be described as a competent player of electric jazz bass (the style, not the Fender model......), the later players adopted a more laid back (and simple if you ask me) style. I believe the best bass we have heard is the current sideman Mark Griffith. This thread leads to another thread which I will start right now.
Goran
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Goran I would argue that John Rostill established himself as the bass player in the 60's, not as high profile as Jet Harris but Jet was only on first album, though he was on a couple of tracks on second album though not officially credited.

Rostill was on every album and single from Dance with in 63 till the spilt in 68.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Acknowledged......

But still, the Shadows never had a bass player who stood out very much (like the late Dee Murray, Elton John's bass player on the early records, a giant in pop/rock bass)
Goran

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”