Where Would Shadows Be Without Lordon?

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Where Would Shadows Be Without Lordon?

Post by admin »

To my ear, some of the finest instrumentals that I have heard have come from the pen of Jerry Lordon.

Lordon started the ball rolling with "Apache" which took the world by storm. I am wondering what your favourite Lordon composition was? Is there anything that exceeds the brilliance of "Apache?"

To take it a step further, do you think that the Shadows would have charted and achieved the same great success without the start from Lordon? Perhaps it is easy to think this now, but without that first hit, things might have been very different.

I would be very interested in your thoughts.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Conjecture clearly but I believe they would, however what in my view was the defining moment in their career was the decision to record Apache, strangely originally only intended as a B side.

As The Drifters they had released one vocal single and one instrumental, when they changed their name to The Shadows,for legal reasons, they could not continue as The Drifters, the first single they put out was a vocal Saturday Dance/Lonesome Fella.

I thought Saturday Dance was abysmal but actually love Lonesome Fella.

Whose decision it was to go back to an Instrumental for next releases is unclear but the success of Apache meant that they had to releases another instrumental as the follow up, as each release was successful it became harder to go back to vocals, in fact their first vocal to be released as a single after Apache was in fact another Lordon number Mary Anne.

This track actually works well as an Instrumental, Peter Korving who Goran will know recorded it as a instrumental on his second album under the guise of Seaside Shadows.

Atlantis, Wonderful Land both number singles, Mustang the lead track on a number 1 e.p.

Bruce Welch has always acknowledged the debt they owe Lordon and I believe Hank has, in fact Hank had a number one as a solo artist in Australia with Sacha another Lordon penned number.

It is perhaps fitting that the last number they have probably recorded as the Shadows, was another Lordon composition Life Story.

Good Article below

http://www.mcr26.freeserve.co.uk/shadows/Lordan/Default.htm
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, Roy. I don't think there can be any doubt but that "Apache" was a defining moment in the success of the Shadows.

Lordon certainly penned an impressive list of compositions that served The Shadows well. At some point the Shadows seemed to have developed the confidence to write instruments on their own. I am not sure if there are, however, any of theirs that outshine Lordon.

It is a great article about his history. I love the tension about breaking for tea with only 40 minutes of so remaining to record "Apache." Apache is such a strong melody and I love the bounce back from the Meazzi unit.

It is still a puzzle, with all that is known about the recording of Apache, that those who try to replicate it cannot quite capture the tone.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”