Starting an instrumental tribute band?

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
goran
RRF Consultant

Starting an instrumental tribute band?

Post by goran »

When starting a tribute band e.g. a Shadows (or Ventures) band, there seems to be one small problem - Lead guitarists are used to copying their heroes licks, riffs and whatever to as minute detail as possible and are usually quite happy about it. Bass players, on the other hand, may learn special figures and bass licks but usually do not copy whole songs but tend to use their own standard style of playing chord sequencies, and this goes even more for drummers, who are not used to copy the playing from a record drumbeat for drumbeat. Not even rhythm guitarists are easy to convince to play the exact strumming patterns as on a record (at least not Shadows-strumming). This makes it a little bit more troublesome during rehearsals with a tribute band.

Any thoughts on this?
Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

An excellent topic, Goran.

I cannot address Shadows' Tribute Bands to any great extent, however, I have to say those Beatles' Tribute Bands, that I have heard, copy the music of the Fab Four to the finest detail in every respect, lead, rhythm, bass and drums. Beyond this many groups have a theatrical performance that makes every attempt to copy the mannerisms, voices and gear as well.

To my way of thinking, a tribute band typically does their best to recreate the music as faithfully as possible. Bar bands, on the other hand, often perform their interpretation of the original hit without the same degree of precision.

To my way of thinking, a tribute band is, by definition, a group whose goal it is to copy the original group in all respects to the full extent possible.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Yes, that's what tribute bands do, but my point is that it's easier to find lead-guitarists willing to do this than other musicians, obviously because the frontman (-men) gets the attention they search in such a setup?

Besides, in a Beatles tribute band all four participate in the vocals and they all get their rigthful recognition in other ways than their instrumental ability so there is a difference!
Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Points very well made, Goran. When there is one member of a group that gets top billing, it may be the case that others are expected to contribute less.

In the case of The Shadows' tribute bands I suppose that the audience, at least in part, might treat the other group members almost as a backing track.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

exactly....... Image
Goran
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

To my way of thinking, a tribute band is, by definition, a group whose goal it is to copy the original group in all respects to the full extent possible.

Peter, I think there are two different types of such bands. The ones that copy every detail and those who play the songs of their heroes with new arrangements. In case of the Shadows it is not necessary to copy every bass line or the drum beat exactly in my opinion. I think it would be much more interesting to play these songs a little more freely. Even the lead guitar can be altered a little from time to time - although this is difficult in case of The Shadows.

The most important thing is to capture the spirit of a song you play. If you are playing songs as old as the Shadows tunes it makes sense to "translate" this spirit for the time at which you are playing it - a more modern drum sound and style and a tighter bass playing cannot be that wrong.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Your line of thinking certainly strikes a chord with me Markus.

Capturing "the spirit" as you say is most important and as such it is very likely that we perform differently each time we play. Performance is more than just the notes played. At the end of the day, our performances are interpretations of that which inspired us to play in the beginning.

Speaking of spirit, your performance of Sleepwalk is a prime example of the same.

goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Of course also this is true!

As long as playing "a little more freely" does not stem from not being able to play "right" technically.

But when talking about "Tribute bands" we're usually referring to bands trying to sound exactly like their heroes. When various artists give tribute to another (often by appearing on a "tribute album"), they usually perform personalized versions with their own touch.
Goran
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

I also note that I rapidly have advanced from new member to junior member to just member, this calls for a few pints the upcoming Friday ........
Goran
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

Peter: thanks for the kind words concerning my version of Sleepwalk. When recording such a song on your own, it makes no sense to try to copy every detail of the original version. Even if I would be very accurate playing the guitars and the bass, I am not a drummer, so I cannot play the drums accurately, I have got to use a sequenzer track. What is more, I am just a single musician, not a band, even the best musician will not be able to sound like a band playing live when he is doing a multitrack recording on his own. And last but not least my living room is not the Abbey Road studio and I am just an amateur or maybe semi-professional musician, not a skilful recording engineer. So in the end I would be very frustrated to find out that all my efforts to copy all details resulted in an recording, that almost sounds like The Shadows - just not as good as the original. With tribute bands it is very much the same, but they are playing live and "selling an illusion" ;-) ...

Goran: it is true, of course, that playing more freely should not be an excuse for not being able to play accurately - but it is the same thing vice versa ... you know, I am a music teacher and have studied music at the university, so I have met a lot of people who are able to play whatever sheet music you give them very accurately. But when you ask them to play a twelve bar blues in B flat and count them in "1, 2, 3, 4 ..." they stare at you and do not know what to do. (Okay, this might be a little exaggerated, but I think it makes clear what I mean.)
tamborineman

Re: Starting an instrumental tribute band?

Post by tamborineman »

hi goran, if you put together a band that could capture the essence of The Shadows you would have a very good thing going, in it's own right. a new crowd might not be hip to the Shadows but who couldn't be moved by thier music ? a guy once said to me, after a gig, that he really liked the jeff beck stuff I played when I hadn't played any jeff beck tunes that night. that was the highest compliment I ever received as I have studied the yardbyrds/early beck and this ONE guy got it. also, Doctorno, plus one brother... :)
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

An old Nashville axiom: "First, you need to serve the song" In other word you need to respect and retain the heart of the song before you think about your interpretation of it. Lucky for me I live in California! 8)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I played in a surf/instrumental project for Christmas last year. We did all of the Ventures(and others) instrumental Christmas tunes played surf style, along with some other non-Christmas surf tunes. We were lucky enough to play with a drummer who had the style down pat. We covered the Shadows and he made apoint of getting it exactly right. I did the rhythm on the song and I made it a point of getting the strumming down correctly. Actually, all of us did, because we wanted the song to sound right. It was a bit of work, but worth the trouble.

On some of the other songs, we modified certain parts to make them even MORE traditional surf; some of the Ventures Christmas stuff had some weird things going on in the arrangement. I don't thing they spent a lot of time arranging some of the songs, which consisted of an intro from surf tune, or something like "Wooly Bully", or Ray Charles' "What I say" before going xitioning into the christmas tune. When we changed something we tried to get more of the vibe of the original song that comprised the intro part of the song, or tried to make the song sound even more surf-y, since some of the Ventures stuff was more straight instrumental than instrumental surf.

Overall it was a really fun project, but definitley not something I could do full time. I have trouble sticking in one genre of music, no matter what the genre, but I suppose thaqt's what makes the world go `round eh?
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Yep Paul, The Ventures show no mercy when doing covers..I think they would cover just about anything! I always lkes their Christmas Lp...fun to start off surf and then go into the tune. Arrangements...ahhh I think on that one they played the melody of the Christmas tunes pretty straight which works for me. :)

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”