Lordon Versus Marvin

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Lordon Versus Marvin

Post by admin »

While Hank Marvin's brilliant guitar work is responsible for many of The Shadows' hits, I find the early compositions by Jerry Lordon to still reign supreme in the groups' cannon.

The instrumentals written by Lordon captivated our imagination after listening to the tracks only once. Apache, Wonderful Land, Atlantis and Diamonds are tops in my books. Marvin was involved in writing more that 100 Shadows' instrumentals and nearly two dozen vocals. Foot Tapper, Nivram and Fender Bender all penned by Marvin are great numbers but do not surpass the brilliance of Lordon in my view.

So what do you think. Do Marvin's compostions rival or surpass the contributions of Lordon? What magic did Lordon have that set the stage for The Shadows' success?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: Lordon Versus Marvin

Post by royclough »

Certainly he wrote the one number that they will forever associated with Apache.

Wonderful Land again a big number for them as was Atlantis, all number one hits.

He wrote Apache with Bert Weedon in mind strangely but he or his record label prevaricated regarding it's release and The Shadows got in first.

Diamonds he wrote for Jet Harris and Tony Meehan ( 2 ex Shadows) and again a number 1 in UK.

Apache certainly set the standard that would become known for, they issued a vocal number for their first release before Apache, which sank without trace.

He wrote a great track called Sacha which was on Marvin's first solo album, but was not released as single in UK, it was in Australia though and was a massive hit.

Fitting that the last original work ever recorded by The Shadows was a Lordan number called Life Story.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That Lordon wrote classics gains even more supoort from your review, Roy. I am not sure if you could make Sacha and Life Story available to our readers, however, it may be interesting to compare these instrumental with Lordon's earlier work.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

As requested here are 4 tracks written by Lordan or part written.

Sacha (credited to Lordan/Cook Greenway) when I have seen Hank live he has always credited this to Lordan, number in Australia for 6 weeks. in 69.

High Sierra (Lordan/Marvin) featured on Hank Marvin first solo album

Morning Star (credited to Lordan/Cook Greenway) This track was a B side of a slol vocal single released by Hank in 1970 very limited release.

Life Story (Lordan) To date the last new reocrding by The Shadows, though Bruce Welch and Brian Bennett recorded their bit in London and then track sent to Hank Marvin in Australia for him to add the lead.

Hope some of you listen as some fine tracks IMO.

marvin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As always, thanks for these tracks, Roy.

Based on my listening to these this morning, I find that High Sierra captures my attention the most. I consider that it is most representative of the Lordon magic. The track reminds me of an old western with a dusting of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I see our hero in the distance riding toward us as the theme begins. The haunting tone of Hank Marvin is put to very good use as he rides alone testing the elements as he is being watched by would be ambushers hiding in the rocks above. Marvin increases his volume swells and a hint of suspense heightens our senses.

Our first close up of the saddle-hardened Parker Janes is seen whilst Hank Marvin drops down an octave with a tempting twang that confirms tough. Mavin's now sliding twang upsets the balance as Parker's solitude is interrupted. A rock breaks free from the hillside providing Parker with the opportunity to use the life-saving second he has to move into full gallop.

The chase is on as the bandits appear from a blind canyon, their parched and weary horses no match for the heart of Parker's steely steed. The Shadows increase their tempo accordingly with a Welchian rhythm that was made for the Rio Grande. After a chase that wins the envy of anyone who has ever ridden the trail, Parker enters town and gets his first glimpse of the inviting saloon.

There is no place more isolated and foreboding than High Sierra.

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”