More jazzy Rick sound -- Sleepwalk

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
ric340JG

More jazzy Rick sound -- Sleepwalk

Post by ric340JG »

Here is another "jazzy" number played with my Rick 340/6JG. Again, I am using my favorite combination, neck and bridge pickup (I rewired the 340 so that the blend control serves as the dedicated volume for the middle pup, which can now be used completely independently, giving me a greater number of pickup combinations and tonal possibilities). The guitar went into my PC and I used Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro. I added some plugins -- Amplitube for Vox emulation, and PSP608 MD to emulate the vintage Meazzi tape and disc echoes used by the Shadows in the early sixties. Strings are the same D'Addarios used in Nivram. The backing track was produced by Warren Bennett.

http://www.4shared.com/file/16317632/19 ... Rick_.html

I hope you like it.
Bojan
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Re: More jazzy Rick sound -- Sleepwalk

Post by sowhat »

Very nice!
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Cool! I'd kind of like to see less twang and more dull thump on the bass on this one - a bit more of a string bass sound to smooth out the bass lines and get them to flow a bit more, but it's just my personal opinion. The guitar flows just fine! On both of the tunes you've posted, I really like the way you periodically sneak a pure rock and roll lick into the jazzy flow. They're done so well that it just makes the listener smile. This stuff is very easy on the ears, yet has enough points of interest that you can't ignore it. It's also a very nice testimonial to the Ric six - doing something that most people wouldn't associate with Rickenbacker guitars (except maybe PW's Jazzbo).

Both my Ric tewlves are wired with the middle pickup all by itself and I also really like it. I left the fifth knob alone for blending the neck/bridge combo and added a sixth knob and pot for the middle volume. Then I stereo-wired things so that there is an output jack for the neck/bridge circuit (basically stock 330/360 wiring) and a separate jack on the 370/12 for the solo middle pickup and a single, stereo jack on the 340/12. With Y-cords I can run to two separate amp channels, tracks on the recorder or amps, or add effects to either feed and mix and match and EQ as I please, so it presents a lot of different options. Plug in a regular mono guitar cord and you have a stock 330 or 360, which we all know ain't half-bad either..
ric340JG

Post by ric340JG »

Thank you Todd. Yes, I know what you mean about the twang vs. thump . . . The reason for the twang here, as far as I can tell, is the strings. The Pyramid strings I used earlier would have given a definite thump, but the roundwounds of course are brighter and twangier. A friend of mine who is now in Vienna will bring me a set of Thomastik Infeld flatwounds, so it will be interesting to try them out.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Yes, the difference between flats and rounds would do it. A lot of folks like that round-wound sound better, but I found myself thinking that I wished the bass lines would have been played on a Hofner or something similar with less edge that would have let them fade back into the mix a bit more. It takes a while to get used to just how soft and loose the TI's feel on your fingers, but they do have a nice flatwound sound. Mellow music doesn't get an awful lot of attention here on the forum so jazz players and old folkies like me are kind of a minority, but this is some good stuff. The lead guitar phrasing, in particular is really top notch - not too busy with a lot of interesting little twists and turns while still staying on target and playing the song. Keep up the good work!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Bojan,

You have made it your own and that is tough to do with an instrumental this popular. I really liked it. Your phrasing is spot on. I love the improvisations that you threw in. They had a nice smooth jazz feel to them and they did not seem at all out of place.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ric340JG

Post by ric340JG »

Thanks Brian! :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I moved this great version of Sleepwalk by Bojan to this forum as it is especially well done and also pertinent to this forum on instrumental music.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Very nice to have you on board Bojan, old friend!

Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bojan: As you have nicely captured The Shadows's sound I would be interested in your set up that allowed for this, including guitar, amplifier and effects.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”