London's Not Too Far

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

London's Not Too Far

Post by admin »

Hank Marvin has written and recorded a very touching ballad entitled "London's Not Too Far" about a young person whose emotions motivate her to head off to London without seeking parental approval. The strong melody is equaled on this occasion by the fine lyrics of a performer who is know to some as purely an instrumentalist.

On the occasion of this post, I was fortunate enough to have been given three versions of the song to appreciate. These included a version by Cliff Richard who is no stranger to Hank, Bobby Vee from America and lastly Hank Marvin's recording from his first solo LP.

Cliff Richard's version is the most polished in my view and make no mistake about it he does a find job. With Cliff's vocal tone, I have often reminded myself that I would go to a concert of his if he was singing the phone book. On this occasion, I found the arrangement played by the strings to be a bit too sweet and not in keeping with the more sensitive moments as our young woman leaves home with limited plans and a degree of trepidation. The snare drumming is done with military precision and in a way that is more in keeping with the changing of the guards than someone leaving home for the first time. Cliff Richard might have emoted more too but his voice has the rich and soothing quality that has made him famous. The female chorus in harmony with Cliff competes with the melody on this version.

Bobby Vee's recording hearkens back to simpler times and the acoustic guitar work in the introduction is reminiscent of the ticking clock and indeed is performed with clockwork precision. I found his harmony much nicer and that it added to the moment. His "folk" version provided for a more vulnerable feeling and his soft voicing was both touching and believable at the same time. This recording was quite surprising and as in many aspects of everyday living, less is often more.

Finally, I found that Hank Marvin's version of London's Not Too Far was most moving and his expressiveness allowed for a strong bond between the lyric and the melody. His harmony was quite nice but not as practiced as that of Bobby Vee. Marvin set the mood better than the other artists and it is almost as if he was writing about a personal experience. I found Marvin's version so moving that I have created a short file showing the lyrics along with the song and a background that I hope you enjoy. It is said that Mavin wrote this song based on "She's Leaving Home" by The Beatles. He has kept his cards close to his chest until the very end of the song. You can see my audiovisual song contribution by going to London's Not Too Far.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: London's Not Too Far

Post by royclough »

Excellent review Peter. I would urge anyone who has not heard this track to take a listen

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”