Hank Marvin's First Stratocaster

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Hank Marvin's First Stratocaster

Post by admin »

For Shadows enthusiasts, Hank Marvin's red (fiesta or otherwise) stratocaster was the beginning of "that sound." I was interested to learn what many probably already know - Hank's first Fender Stratocaster was actually owned by Cliff Richard. It is reputed to be the first stratocaster in the UK. This is an interested claim that in itself may be difficult to prove.

The guitars that made artists famous have been studied at great length and as but one good example, I offer John Lennon's first Rickenbacker. I was wondering more about Hank Marvin's first Stratocaster and my search led me to the claim that it was originally owned by Cliff who eventually passed it on to Bruce Welch who seems to have it at present.

I would be interested in knowing more about this guitar and whether Hank has ever wanted to record with it again, for old times sake. Apparently Welch had it refinished in fiesta red after Cliff Richard had it painted white? Are the electronics still original, was it looked at closely for the reissues that were made? I would love to know.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Re: Hank Marvin's First Stratocaster

Post by goran »

There is a two part interwiew with Bruce Welch on Youtube where, as I recall, he talks about this specific guitar, try to search for it.

Goran
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I'd like to have one of the American HM sig models, or one that looks like it. I really like Fiesta Red-and bird's eye maple! :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

From You Tube. Three great clips that discuss the Stratocaster in general and Hank's Stratocaster in particular. I trust these clips form the discussion to which your refer, Goran.

Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Indeed, they are.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Great Clips! thanks for posting them! :D :D

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”