Fender Bender

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Fender Bender

Post by admin »

Goran: I am interested in knowing what patch you use when performing the Shadows' Fender Bender?

Also, if you are up to putting your version on You Tube sometime I would love to see it.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Re: Fender Bender

Post by kenposurf »

Goran/Peter...late on this question but the Shadows "patches" you refer to are from?
Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

George: There are still a couple of sources of patches for the Alesis Q20(ending soon I believe) along with the Magic Stomp (no longer made) and the Zoom pedal.

Charlie Hall is a good source for the patches for the Magic Stomp, which I believe produces a great sound.

I believe that you can find Charlie at charliehall@ntlworld.com

This is a very long story. I have given you the Readers' Digest version.

Peter
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Many thanks Peter..sorry for the thread hijack...
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Hi Peter

The patch I used on Fender Bender is probably my own F3 patch for the 508
(Had to dive into the individual track), together with a little stereo reverb.
This patch along with F4 for said device I use for the Burns-era numbers
(those with the almost dry sound). I try to accomplish this by reducing the
treble content of the echoes quite heavily rather than just lowering the echo
volume. This is possible on the 508 but not to the same extent on the
Magic Stomp.

I'll try to make a video of FB this weekend.

And another source for free patches for a number of devices is: http://www.echotapper.nl
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, Goran. I will need to experiment with the Magic Stomp more to get the Fender Bender sound. As I listen to this track again, I hear a slight compression along with a short delay. Perhaps studying other tracks that were recorded during the same period may be of benefit. I look forward to your video.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goran: I have just had the very good fortune to have had a discussion with Charlie Hall through email and have had him listen to Fender Bender. I am delighted with this support provided by Charlie long after I have purchased his patches.

He was kind enough to send along his interpretation of the echo used by Hank on Fender Bender. Charlie recommends using with U24 or U25 from his patches. I have tried both and have a preference for U24 although they both provide a close approximation to the Fender Bender sound as recorded by Hank Marvin in early 1980.

I will be interested in your comments with regard to these patches (U24,U25) should you find the time to record Fender Bender this weekend.

goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Hi
As stated in another thread I've now re-recorded Fender Bender for Youtube publishing, using the 024 patch but with a bit more treble supression on the echoes. However, I did not take the time to adjust for the actual sound which is a bit more raw and using the strat with cs54's even less raw. What I did, however, was adding a slight bit of chorus, which I seem to detect on the original (which would not be too surprising considering that these kind of effects were becoming commonly during the 70's and even Hank is likely to having experimenting with new toys). I will try to finish the aligning of the soundfile with the actual video during the weekend.
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

goran wrote:Hi
these kind of effects were becoming commonly during the 70's and even Hank is likely to having experimenting with new toys).
these kind of effects were becoming commonly available during the 70's and even Hank is likely to having experimented with new toys).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A great version, Goran. Thanks for taking this one on. Another tutorial on the Shadows completed on a song that may not be known to the average listener.

I think that the patch you chose is about as close as one can get to the original. The sound itself, as you say, is somewhat raw on the original and I too hear some slight chorus which is in keeping with the RE301 which he may have used.

kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Goran..you rock,,very nice! Is it just me or..if you used a vibratone and a tube screamer..a lot of the riffs have that SRV Texas blues/rock thang going...

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”