I'm Absolutely Hank Marvin

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

I'm Absolutely Hank Marvin

Post by admin »

No, this is not a grandiose post, but rather the title of a Hank Marvin recording that I had not heard of until now.

This track, to my ears, has the rich tone and soothing sound of Sleepwalk and I expect will be a classic. Something for Roy Clough to consider in any event. :)

So here it is. I would be intersted in your thoughts.

Here is some background with regard to Richard Hawley
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
paologregorio

Re: I'm Absolutely Hank Marvin

Post by paologregorio »

Lovely.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Wow! How could he top that? That's his best IMO.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Sweet! The melody reminds me of the Moody Blues "Isn't Life Strange" crossed with a bit of a Hawaiian slack key figure.....
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

This is a intriguing one and even some of Marvin's biggest fan's myself included did not know of it's existence.

I came across it by accident, the track was released on a limited edition CD single about 2 years ago credited to Richard Hawley which has two tracks, Coles Corner which is brilliant by the way. The front cover does not even mention the track it is only when you open the disc you see that inside cover lists the track as featuring Hank Marvin.

From what I can gather Hawley, who must be a fan, wrote the track and sent it to Marvin in Australia, stating "rather than me doing this, it would be great if you would consider doing it" he heard nothing for a while till the finished track was sent to him.

As some have said I think it is one of the best things he has done as a solo recording.
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

:o Wow!! Talk about giving a "voice" to a guitar!

It evokes images and emotions like that of old friends getting re-acquainted... chatting... reminiscing... even subtly weeping at times.
Member #03
JimN

Post by JimN »

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the genesis of the title of that track, although it is pefectly possible that it is so obvious that it hasn't been thought necessary to discuss it...

I'm sure that most of you will have heard of the phenomenon known as "Cockney rhyming slang", in which some words in speech are replaced by coded words or phrases which happen to rhyme with the replaced word. Obvious examples include "frog and toad" for "road" and "apples and pears" for "stairs". Yes - you've guessed - over the last few decades, "Hank Marvin" has come to be used as RS for "...starvin'...", meaning that "I'm absolutely Hank Marvin" means "I could eat a horse". You even occasionally hear it in the scripts of London-set drama programmes on TV here (notably "The Bill", in which the character DC Micky Webb was heard to use the phrase a year or so back).

I'll... er... get me weasel...

JimN
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Nice Theory Jim except guy who wrote it is from Sheffield in good old Yorkshire.

It certainly is not meant to be cockney slang I can assure you.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Video re-posted

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”