'Horseshoe' question

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Actually, if you'd do some research, you'd learn that under both U.S. and E.C. law you can't sell them without permission of the trademark holder, no matter your intention.

You can certainly modify your property any way you see fit, but you can also make it unsaleable in the process.

The horseshoe has been offered for sale continuously since 1931 in one form or another. In any case, what? Do you think we hire idiots for lawyers?

As I have said before, we'll bring these back for individual sale when and only when the infrigement is brought under control.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Amen to that one.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

John: are there that much infringements on this item?
I've no idea actually, I can't imagine another manufacturer producing horseshoe style pickups.
I mean, I've never seen them on any other guitar than a Rickenbacker
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

There's one major infringer and two minor ones.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I know of Lollar and Rick Turner, who is the third?

"As I have said before, we'll bring these back for individual sale when and only when the infrigement is brought under control"

Does this mean the HS pickups will be readily available once this issue has been finished? Image
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

I just saw that lollar pickup, but it's for steel guitars? I don't see how this would fit a bass guitar without further modifying. It'd be a waste of money when you can get the real thing from RIC for $150
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Lollar makes two different horseshoes; one is for 8-string steels and one for bass, with four polepieces.Image
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

You can still pick up original 'shoes for between $100-200 if you are patient and know where to look.

Get the genuine thing!
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

And get a pickup with way weaker magnets than they had originally due to the magnets losing their strength over the years?

Not for me thanks.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Give me a 4003 high gain ... I have no romantic feelings for 60's weak pickups ... I had a 1968 4001 with a working horseshoe pickup ... that bass didn't get the job done ... I got a 73 for a gigging bass it worked better ... then I got an 89 4003 and that was even better yet ... I don't buy anything older than 1986 these days ... the horseshoe is very pretty but it is another 4001 anachronism ...
lucky

Post by lucky »

You've got to have a bit of romance.Going to the music live in birmingham on saturday so i will do a test,4003 v 4001c64.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Let's think out of the box here...

Magnets are made, not born.

It's been my own experience that electric motor repair shops and automotive generator/starter motor rebuilders have magnetizing devices. They can remagnetize a horseshoe, or increase the gauss, for a few bucks...
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Amen again
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Paul is, as usual, correct. You can regauss old magnets and that will give an increase in the desired sound. Don't expect it to sound like a 90's hot hi-gain tho'....

The horseshoe is an aesthetic want it seems in most instances. It would appear sound comes secondry for most. Tone, being subjective, is always subtle from horseshoes. This is not an in your face sound like the later pick ups produce.

Those wishing for a genuine 60's look AND sound would be able to use original horseshoes with all levels of gauss, and in most cases will be happy.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

some of the old horseshoes don't regauss ... steel doesn't make a good magnet ... that's why the reissue horseshoes have alnico magnets ...

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”