'Horseshoe' question

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

... --- ...
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Hey I love pong!
netserf

Re: 'Horseshoe' question

Post by netserf »

Hey, all. Sorry to bubble up this old thread if there's a newer one on the same topic.. but I've been digging into a lot of forum threads regarding H-Shoes, parts availability, patents, copyrights, and general universal angst.

Here's my question: if the visible gap on a H-shoe pup ring were closed seamlessly, all infringement claims would evaporate, correct? Put another way, is it the gap that makes the magnetic ring protected by Ric copyright?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this..
stevebasshead

Post by stevebasshead »

Hi,

Ah but then it wouldn't be a Horseshoe pickup at all, it's be a C-Shoe!

I see what you're getting at but I think (not that I'm an expert on magnetic field shapes!) it'd have quite different magnetic properties. The two visible ends, i.e. what you see above the bobbin of each shoe on a real magnetic HS are both the same pole (North I think) and the other two underneath the bobbin are both therefore Souths.

In the configuration you describe there'd only be one single piece of metal folding over, around and under the bobbin, rather than two separate shoes and therefore both opposite poles would sit underneath the bobbin. That's the opposite of what the HS does and I'm pretty sure the magnetic field/lines of flux would be quite different.

Wonder what it'd sound like?...

Regards,
Steve.
netserf

Post by netserf »

Thanks for the quick response!

The reason that I asked is that there are modern versions of the gapless 'C' magnet pickups that are truly magnetic, and that resemble those so pervasive years ago in many brands of lapsteels (Fenders, etc.)

Here's a link to The Steel Guitar Forum where one of these modern examples is discussed:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=111989

I'd love to have one of these fitted to my bass!

Also, here's an interesting link to the Music Electronics Forum that discusses the horseshoe issue, expired patents, and trade dress:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=355

Food for thought.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”