Toasters and Magnet Length

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I would think that would invalidate the 'vintage' nature of them.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Hi Mr. Hall, thanks for the tip. I use the meter at both frequencies to see how things change, but the 1KHz setting is where I base anything on. I wish the meter actually would test up higher, because 1k is kind of low on the guitar, but oh well. No one has spoken up about wanting me to test their short pole toasters so I guess it won't happen.

On another note, I just got a 350v63 and I want to experiment with the pickups. The stock toasters sound good, but I think I can do better for my needs by modding them. Different magnets make a huge difference, as I found out recently with my Epiphone Dot. I put in some Duncan pickups, and the Pearly Gates in the bridge was rather bright. I took out the alnico 2 magnet and put in an alnico 3 and it is really nice now. Some of the highs went away and the pickup became darker and more aggressive. Much better for blues than before. So I was thinking I'd like to see about getting different magnets for the toasters....both different formulations, and different sizes. I have some other toasters around to experiment with.

There are a couple things I need to know though to get a baseline for where I'm starting at. I have no idea what the current magnets are in the toasters? Alnico 2? Alnico 5? Are they fully charged or degaussed? Also, if I rewind a couple to try out different DC resistance values, it would be helpful to know the correct wire for the toaster, so I can deviate if I want to get a different sound. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the toasters use 44 gauge wire, but is it Formvar? Polysol? Plain Enamel? Heavy build? Single build? I know these kinds of things might be something you'd like to keep in house and not get out on the web Mr. Hall, but it would be very helpful to me to mod these if I knew what I'm starting with. Care to share? Thanks!

Sergio, were you suggesting to use a ceramic bar magnet on the bottom of the toaster or an alnico one?
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

A ceramic one. It works beautifully.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Thanks Sergio. Does that increase the power output very much?

I like the sound of the high gains on my 330/12 BBR, but I like the look of the toasters on the 350V63 BBR. I'm going to put toasters on the 12 because I think they're work better on there. I'd like to keep the toaster look at least on the 350V63. So I can either do a couple high gains in toaster covers, or try to modify the magnets/wire/DC reistance, etc of the toasters. I usually prefer alnico magnets to ceramic so I may go that route. Sergio, do you have any idea what wire and magnet types the stock toasters are using?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

RIC only uses #44 wire. JH has stated that, and IIRC, he also told the coating, but I don't remember for sure. You could search the official RIC forums at the RIC site.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Thanks John. I took a look at the official RIC forum and couldn't find anything about the wire and insulation used. I'm not sure yet if I'll be making some hi-gains in toaster covers (I have 1 already) or if I will mod the toasters to whatever spec I decide on. I do like the hi-gain sound a lot....they're a cross between the HB's and the toasters to my ears. I usually prefer alnico magnets though in most pickups, so I may spend some time working on the toasters to get them to sound where I want. Whatever I end up with will be going in my 350v63, and the hi-gains in my 330/12 will be coming out for some toasters too. I'll be using the hi-gains in something else that is on backorder still.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hey Greg. I got your e-mail. No time to reply to it yet though.
Yes, a strong ceramic bar magnet increases output quite considerably.
I'll reply to your e-mail tonight. (It's 9 p.m. locally)
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Hey Sergio! I'll look forward to your reply. I've been doing some reading and trying to get an idea of what I want to do exactly, but it will help a lot to hear from someone who has rewound many of these.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”